Fishless cycle help....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok if you say so JLK.... Thanks so much for the help. Being there is no ammonia that isn't going to hurt the first set of bacteria is it????

Nope, Ive let my qt go for almost a week with no ammonia & have never had an issue keeping it cycled. And, Ive helped people before that had cycled tanks that went for over a month with zero ammonia & their bb recovered within a few days to a week. Now, we are not going to let them go for this long though! Lets see how things go! :)

no problem and Thanks for the quick responses....I'm glad I found this forum and all the experts to help me through this cycle, although I have to admit, it is a long time to look at an empty aquarium when you want to put some fish in it...hopefully this comes to an end shortly...3 weeks so far and counting...see ya tomorrow with the water test results:popcorn::blink::fish2:

Wednesday June 20th

Ammonia - 0.0

Nitrite - 0.0

Nitrate - 20.0 + a little darker orange

pH - 7.4 - 7.6

Ok....JLK looking good now....I'm guessing redose the ammonia back up now??? What level??? Or do we do another water change to get nitrates down??? Let me know....

Attachments

• image-3735819065.jpg
    image-3735819065.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 33
Dose to 2 & we will see how things look tomorrow! The nitrates are fine! No need for wc. :)

Ok done...4.5ml of ammonia added and now we wait until tomorrow for the test results....:thanks:

Thursday June 21st

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 5.0

Nitrate - 40.0

pH - 7.4 - 7.6

JLK....what do we do today???? Nitrates rising, 2.0ppm ammonia disappearing in 24 HR, but nitrites are sky high????

Attachments

• image-4144122874.jpg
    image-4144122874.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 37
Lets stick to 2ppm for now until we see those nitrites have readable drops. They are dropping some because your nitrates are increasing but we dont have the means to test this when they reach high levels. :)

Friday June 22nd test results

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 40 - 80

pH - 7.4 - 7.6

JLK....I'm guessing we should redose the ammonia up to 2.5ppm today or 3.0ppm ??? Am I correct????

Picture forgot as usual....

Attachments

• image-114926287.jpg
    image-114926287.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 31
ok...got to run around and do some errands so I'm just going to dose it up to 3ppm....hope I'm right:hide::whistle::ermm:...let me know JLK

Added 6.75 ML of ammonia to bring it up to 3ppm

Saturday June 23rd test results

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 80 - 160 (darker red than the 80 but not the maroon of 160)

Ok JLK so 3ppm ammonia disappeared in 24 Hrs and there were no nitrites either!!!! That is good right???? I'm guessing we dose the ammonia up to 4ppm today and we are getting really close to the cycle's completion. Please advise when you get a chance.....

Attachments

• image-2522612883.jpg
    image-2522612883.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
Ok will do JLK.....keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow....just added 9mL of ammonia to get it up to 4ppm

Yeah my wife and son are dying to get some fish. It's been almost a month since we started this fish less cycle. We have decided on getting a school of Denison barbs, probably between 7-10 of them and then we're going to build our tank around them.

Any suggestions on what are good tank mates for the Denison barbs would be appreciated...

NJNewbie said:
Any suggestions on what are good tank mates for the Denison barbs would be appreciated...

I'm also going to get those.

I'm going to stock mine with

6 Denison barb ( Roseline sharks )
6 Congo tetras
8 panda Cory cats
1 anglefish
1 starlight bristlenose pleco

I love the Roseline sharks.

Sunday June 24th

We have good news and some bad news....

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 160

pH -7.0

Ok so the good news we were able to take 4ppm ammonia and zero it out in 24hrs as well as having 0 nitrites. And the nitrates are sky high...
Bad news is looks like I am experiencing a pH crash as it's down to 7 and it has never been less than 7.4-7.6. Always read 7.6 on ph test and 7.4 on high ph test. So JLK what's the next step???? I'm thinking a 100% water change to get those nitrates down......let me know ASAP thanks

Attachments

• image-2321374285.jpg
    image-2321374285.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom