fishless cycle- how to put in ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
in fishless cycling can i put fish food in my tank to generate ammonia in the tank.
how do i get 100% ammonia. can i get it from any house cleaning products like floor cleaners.

Do not use a a floor cleaning or other household product that has ammonia listed in its ingredients. You need plain ammonia- its listed as 'ammonium hydroxide' on the label. The only other ingredient listed should be water. No surfectants, perfumes/fragrances, dyes, etc. There should also be a '%' listed for the amount of ammonium hydroxide (ie, 5 or 10%) so you will be able to figure out the proper dose to reach 4ppm.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Calculator

Go to Amazon.com and look for Dr. Tim's Ammonia. It's pure ammonia chloride. I used it for my fishless cycle and it worked well.

One word of caution on this process: When you get to the point where your Nitrites start to come into play, do not let the level get above about 2-3 PPM. If this happens the cycle will stall. I know from first hand experience. Took me 6 weeks to cycle. Once I realized what was happening, and kept the Nitrite levels lower, the cycle was done in 4 days!

CMOS

100% ammonia is called anhydrous ammonia and unless you are a crop duster or a meth cook you probably won't find any.

Just pee in your tank.

100% ammonia is called anhydrous ammonia and unless you are a crop duster or a meth cook you probably won't find any.

Just pee in your tank.

It's unlikely that either of these 'professions' would have access to pure ammonia either. Pure ammonia is a gas at normal atmospheric conditions. It boils @-33C. Anhydrous by definition means 'without water'.

Suggesting someone urinate in their tank is far from ideal. Ammonium hydroxide is cleaner, more accessible and accurate option for fishless cycling.

I used Ammonia purchased from Harris Teeter grocery store for my fishless cycle. It was mentioned on other forums as a safe source of ammonia for cycling. About $1.99 for 2 qts.

You can get it from Ace Hardware too. That's what I used. Just make sure it's clear doesn't have any detergent in it.

It's unlikely that either of these 'professions' would have access to pure ammonia either. Pure ammonia is a gas at normal atmospheric conditions. It boils @-33C. Anhydrous by definition means 'without water'.

Suggesting someone urinate in their tank is far from ideal. Ammonium hydroxide is cleaner, more accessible and accurate option for fishless cycling.

I'll start by saying the pee thing was a joke. And anhydrous ammonia in liquid form is readily available at large farms that store thier own crop dusting and fertilizer materials. I won't go into detail but I've personally jumped a fence and dug through a ton of valve adapter parts to get liquid ammonia from a 500 gallon tank into an empty 300 CF oxygen bottle.

Go to Amazon.com and look for Dr. Tim's Ammonia. It's pure ammonia chloride. I used it for my fishless cycle and it worked well.

One word of caution on this process: When you get to the point where your Nitrites start to come into play, do not let the level get above about 2-3 PPM. If this happens the cycle will stall. I know from first hand experience. Took me 6 weeks to cycle. Once I realized what was happening, and kept the Nitrite levels lower, the cycle was done in 4 days!

CMOS

thanks for all the replies guys,
the point raised about nitrites level in the tank can be controlled by doing water changes, is it

Back
Top Bottom