Fishless Cycle I used Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant, HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishShack

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I continue with the cycle that has Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant or should I drain, rinse and start over? I used ammonium from Lowe's but I can drive down the road to the next city to grab some at ACE. :banghead:

Started the cycle on 5/31.

Drain, rinse very very well.. and start over. The cleaning supply added can and will most likely kill the fish added.

I would also start with a new filter media. No way to rinse out the soap completely from the filter media

People are not going to like this but... I did the same thing and at the end of my cycle I did as close to a 100% water change as possible followed by a 75% water change the next day and my fish are fine (I've had fish in this tank for about 5 months). Not saying that there aren't risks but in my experience it worked out OK.

I have read on several other sites of people doing the same as Randi, with no ill affects. Surfactants are NOT detergents or soap. I do believe that some surfactants are probably very toxic to fish, but a massive water change as Randi described, backed up by another would almost certainly remove enough harmful chemicals to render the water harmless.

Back
Top Bottom