fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not unheard of for tap water to contain a significant concentration of nitrate. It's present in all plant fertilizers and consequently in storm water runoff from populated areas. Since it isn't toxic and doesn't readily form any insoluble compounds your water company doesn't make much if any effort to remove it. Try testing the water source you filled the tank from. If that doesn't explain it we'l have to look elsewhere. Since you still have ammonia present with no detectable nitrite it's unlikely that the nitrate is coming from the filter.

Hey, thanks. The tap water comes out the same as the tank, so I guess that its definatley not coming from the filter :(.

I have added existing developed filter media and a 'squeeze' from another filter, added Stress Zyme, made it 83 degrees, have added ammonia (4ppm) and added plants - how long do you think it will be until I see some nitrites start appearing.

I understand that all tanks are different - however are we talking hours, days, weeks? Its a 15 Gallon.

Watch the ammonia, you may have a very shortened cycle due to the filter material. You should know in the next 24 hours. If the ammonia goes to zero, or near 0 in the next 24 then you're golden. Don't greak it you don't see nitrites either, they may already be in sufficient quantity as well. If you see the ammonian go to zero and the nitrates rise then you are done. As I said , you may see a full cycle, a mini (shortened) or barely any at all. All depends on those used filter pads. Looking for 0,0,rising on the ANN scale

Okey dokey. I'll stop bugging you guys now! I'll be patient and wait until tomorrow. Thanks for all your help - its much appreciated.

Have attatched 2 pics. I realise it looks over planted, but I bought a batch of plants and want to keep them alive until I got my bog wood in there so I can make it look nice. the bog wood is soaking. Let me know if u have any ideas!

Nitrites at 0.25ppm and ammonia still at 4ppm. Hoping to see a change tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 47
I guess im just being very impatient! but Im feeling quite upset as there appears to be no change. Just did a test.

Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrites 0.25ppm
Nitrates 20ppm (my tapwater tests the same)

Ive added losts of mature filter media, upped the heat, added oxygen and the ammonia level isnt budging. I had hoped id bypass much of the cycle by using lots of existing filter media.

Any ideas?

As I am using exisitng media, Safe Start and existing gravel... does that mean I might not see a Nitrite Spike... as Id most likely already have that bactiera present. Therefore is it simply a case of waiting for my ammonia 4ppm to reach 0ppm and them im cycled? My nitrites havent budged from 0.25.

its the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I appear to be making some progress at last! :band:

This mornining readings were:

Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrites: 0.50ppm
Nitrates: 10-20ppm
Ph: 8

Do I wait until Ammonia gets lower until I add more, or should I add now to get it back upto around 4ppm?

Thanks!

bring it back to 2. when that falls and 0 and nitrites go to 0 in a 24 hr period, ur done.

What's the word of the day... Starts with a P......

We got ourselves a WINNER !

Almost there my friend, almost there

Then if you're not getting fish right away remember to dose or flake feed the tank a little bit each day to keep everyone fat happy and alive. My guess is that the car is already warming up for the trip to the lfs LOL.... :)

haha! well not quite yet! I have another tank (BiUbe) which has 2 swordtails (and their baby) and 1 red tail shark. My plan is to eventually move these over to the larger tank - and then I really was hoping to get an Angel fish or more.

Then... with my current BiUbe tank I'm hoping to get 2 Dwarf Puffers. This tank is mature and definatley ready for them.

Anyway! I just added about 1 drop of Ammonia so I'm going to test in a little bit and see what that's done.

Last night I did turn my heater up to max (about 85 degrees) so I wonder if that helped move things along.

Thanks for your support Captain! Definatley keeping me going lol.

It sure did.. Thought that had recommended but that might have been in the other thread when you were in panic mode.

I did have the heater up to about 82... wasnt sure about putting it on max, glad that I did! Well I just did a test and appears to come out at 2ppm - so I'll see how long that takes to reduce!

Back
Top Bottom