Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I am fish less cycling a tank, after about two weeks I see ph 7.6, ammo <.25, nitrite 1.0, nitrate 5 , so my question is do I need to d a PWC to get the nitrites down? Will my cycle stall if I don't? I have pure ammonia, should i just ignore the nitrites, and keep adding ammonia?

Here is a pic of my tests.

Attachments

• image-1985164296.jpg
    image-1985164296.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 65
Keep on doing what youre doing, the nitrites will fall. If they don't in a few days a pwc will be in order. Why is your nitrate tube not filled to the line? lol

The lid has a leak, when I shake it I lose some. It is possible it was just a little low before I started too. Lol

Well the tests were exactly like this on Monday, I actually went ahead and changed water then, and added ammonia then. Didn't check it yesterday, so today I checked with these results, so maybe 2 days, I just didn't know if I should add more ammonia tonight or wait, and do PWC.

There are no fish, so I'm not to worried about leaving it as long as it doesn't stall my cycle.

I just finished my fishless cycle today. Took 20 days exactly. I was keeping my ammonia up to 4ppm per day, and literally overnight the nitrItes went from over 10 down to 0. Maybe I misread your readings, but 1 doesn't sound high at all for them. I did a pwc when my nitrIte and nitrAte levels went so far off the range I couldn't tell what they were. Personally, if anything I'd bump up the ammonia you're adding and let those levels keep climbing before you touch anything as long as it's fishless.

After looking at your picture a little closer, did you mean to say 1.0? If I remember isn't 1.0 a purple color? Maybe you meant 10, it looks much darker than 1 to me.

ps- next time turn your results card around so we can see that too, lol :)

Ok after looking at it again, my ammo is closer to 0 , the nitrite is actually more lime 5.0, and the nitrate is more like 50, so it has changed a bit more since it has been sitting there, the first picture was at about 6 minutes after the test, now it has been closer to an hour.

Anyway I think I am going to add more ammonia and just rock on!

Attachments

• image-1868149376.jpg
    image-1868149376.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 58
To me, looking at your results (which is hard to determine exactly with a pic... it's hard enough to determine sometimes in person), assuming it goes in the same order as the results card, I'd say PH >7.8 Ammo- 0 Nitrites- ~6 and nitrAtes- ~40.

It looks like you're on the exact right path with the exception of not having enough ammonia in there. I'd get it back up to 3-4ppm and continue to monitor it.

I agree that if in a few days you're not seeing a change a pwc is a good idea because the bacteria doesn't live in the water, it loves in the filter and on the tank surfaces. The purpose of the PWC is to get things into readable levels to be able to tell what's going on, and if the levels get SUPER high it can stall your cycle.

I'd get the ammonia up ASAP because whenever there's no ammonia in the tank you're leaving the new bacteria without food. The desired outcome of a fishless cycle is to turn 4ppm of ammonia > nitrItes > nitrAtes in a 24 hour period.

I'd expect you're almost to the point when you'll check the levels in a few days and the nitrItes have magically dropped to 0. Just keep the ammonia up and if you do a pwc, make sure you use your dechlorinator.

Mind you, I'm not a super expert, but I just completed a perfect fishless cycle and the above recommendations are exactly what I did. Good luck!

I was typing my post while you were posting yours... they have certainly gotten darker in that time. I think at 5 minutes is when you're supposed to record them.

Ok so last night before bed I added more ammonia, just got home today, tested again, and my ammonia was at least 8.0, nitrites were ~ 5.0, nitrates were ~ 40, so I did a 50% PWC to get the ammonia down to ~ 4.

So I will just keep testing everyday and keep the ammonia up until everything drops to 0 and then add ammonia and see what happens in 24 hours time.

Sounds almost perfect. Only thing, I wouldn't let the ammonia go down to 0 until the cycle completes. Every minute the ammo is at 0, the bacteria have no food.

Ok so now maybe I am cycled, compare this to what I had earlier in this thread. And I haven't lost any more fish I. The last two days.

Attachments

• image-2477467812.jpg
    image-2477467812.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
I have heard some people recommend adding a small amount of fish flakes, crushed very finely, at this point in order to give your bacteria the phosphates they need.

Mixer said:
Ok so now maybe I am cycled, compare this to what I had earlier in this thread. And I haven't lost any more fish I. The last two days.

Mixer, I recommend you check your ph on the high range. Your nitrates have fell but have some nitrites. I believe your ph is very high, skewing your test results. An extremely high or low ph can make your readings.inaccurate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

Deckape said:
Mixer, I recommend you check your ph on the high range. Your nitrates have fell but have some nitrites. I believe your ph is very high, skewing your test results. An extremely high or low ph can make your readings.inaccurate.

Wait a minute, did I read this wrong? Are you or are you not doing a fishless cycle?

Mixer said:

Yeah, the thread title is fishless cycle, and you said there were no fish. Did you just say you haven't lost anymore fish? I'm confused, please update.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Yea that's what confused me too.

Mixer said:

If you want advice. My advice is to be honest. We cannot help you if you don't give the facts as they are. Your fishless cycle post caused us to believe just that. The procedures are different with a fish in cycle vs a fishless cycle. So what is it? We want to help you, but you must let us help you.

Deckape said:
If you want advice. My advice is to be honest. We cannot help you if you don't give the facts as they are. Your fishless cycle post caused us to believe just that. The procedures are different with a fish in cycle vs a fishless cycle. So what is it? We want to help you, but you must let us help you.

Absolutely. We're all more than happy to help. We just need to know the situation to give you the correct info.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom