Fishless Cycle Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got it....just discovered my python fitting doesnt fit my sink....bout to fill it the hardway and hit the hardware store tomorrow

Sorry, just want to clarify. Dose prime into tank water that I left (not much cause I took about 85 - 90% out) then wait 10 mins and add water back in ?

close - I think it is drain the tank, add the prime (for the total volume of the tank), add the water from the tap via the python thing, wait 10 -15 min, turn the filters etc back on

Got it....just discovered my python fitting doesnt fit my sink....bout to fill it the hardway and hit the hardware store tomorrow

sounds like me yesterday - found out the threads on my faucet were too thin... off to home depot to get a part. I think I am ready now. good luck!! can't wait to be in your shoes! just got back from the fish store and was doing some window shopping...

Home Depot sells adapters for your sink (2 seperate pieces) but you will need to remove the aerator first. They are in section where they sell the traps & faucet/sink parts.

Sweet...water all back in tank...gonna head to the LFS see if I can find or order a BGK.

I found out that my python doesn't fit my sink so need an adaptor. Hooked it up to the hose faucet in the front yard to empty and filled the 5 gallon buckets to fill it...gonna go to the hardware store as well and get the right piece...

Thanks everyone ! Will put a picture up when I get my tank stocked...

i hope you temp matched your water - don't want to shock those little bacteria that you worked so hard to grow...

i hope you temp matched your water - don't want to shock those little bacteria that you worked so hard to grow...

I did ! I could have put water from the outside faucet back into tank but I didn't. I didn't think about the bacteria aspect, I was thinking more along taking forever to heat the tank back up. Filled my 5 gallon buckets up from the bathtub. I had the tank set a 77...says it's at 80 now so I was a tad bit off...

good deal! I thought you had filled it from outside and was worried for a minute, but sounds good

So I went to the LFS that I found by looking online. Not a huge place but pretty cool. They had a BGK, about 4 inches long. I said, "I'll take it" then started getting grilled by the owner about my tank, cycle, PH etc...I was a little annoyed cause I just wanted the fish ! I told him my PH was 7.6 and store owner said tank with the BGK was 6.4 so he wouldn't let me take it home ! He said it would be to much of a shock for the fish and he didn't want it to die.

After talking to him I realized that I actually liked the guy cause he was more interested in the fish and not making a buck...so I paid for the fish and will attempt to lower my PH some before I bring him home.

Does what this guy said make sense as far as stressing the fish out cause of that big of a PH difference ?

I did get a Red Tailed Shark cause there was no way I was going home empty handed after waiting over a month !

So I went to the LFS that I found by looking online. Not a huge place but pretty cool. They had a BGK, about 4 inches long. I said, "I'll take it" then started getting grilled by the owner about my tank, cycle, PH etc...I was a little annoyed cause I just wanted the fish ! I told him my PH was 7.6 and store owner said tank with the BGK was 6.4 so he wouldn't let me take it home ! He said it would be to much of a shock for the fish and he didn't want it to die.

After talking to him I realized that I actually liked the guy cause he was more interested in the fish and not making a buck...so I paid for the fish and will attempt to lower my PH some before I bring him home.

Does what this guy said make sense as far as stressing the fish out cause of that big of a PH difference ?

I did get a Red Tailed Shark cause there was no way I was going home empty handed after waiting over a month !

Hmm...I am glad this guy is actually concerned about the welfare of his fish but I dont know know enough about BGKs to be able to comment on the situation. Generally, most fish can adapt to a given ph if they are properly drip acclimated over a lengthy frame of time. I would ask a question in gen discussion for more input from those that have experience with owning them.

Hmm...I am glad this guy is actually concerned about the welfare of his fish but I dont know know enough about BGKs to be able to comment on the situation. Generally, most fish can adapt to a given ph if they are properly drip acclimated over a lengthy frame of time. I would ask a question in gen discussion for more input from those that have experience with owning them.

Good idea !

Yeah, I would think with drip acclimation it would be fine. But I have no experience with these fish. If you do try lowering your pH, use peat in your filter, R/O water or something like that. Don't use anything from a bottle, since there's more of a chance of drastic swings in pH with those.

Back
Top Bottom