Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys hopefully this is an easy one. This is the first time ive ever done a fishless cycle. Ive been adding ammonia to keep it around 2-4ppm and that level goes to zero within 12 hours or so. Now I have very high levels of Nitrite (will need to to a water change tomorrow since it pegged the chart today) and the same goes for Nitrate. My question is do I keep adding up to 4ppm of ammonia every 24 hours? Should I only add 1ppm every 6 or 8 hours etc.

Thanks!

Generally, yes, you redose your ammonia to 4ppm once every 24hrs. It sounds like your first set of bacteria are well established but your second set still have a bit to go but likely not much longer. Since you are planning on a water change tomorrow, try for the next few days to only dose your ammonia to 2ppm & see how your nitrites & nitrates look with a lower dose. Keep us posted! :)

Thanks for the reply, I added back up to 4ppm last night at 9pm today at 8pm there is no ammo left. I still cant tell if Nitrite is dropping, but I do know Nitrates are off the scale so that conversion is starting to work.

Going to the hardware store today to build my water changer and than Ill be able to post some numbers :) Thanks!

Hi all,
I have a question. When in a fishless cycle is it ok to add plants?

Plants love this kind of environment, I have a mixed tank and the plants are thriving right now.

Secondly, I got my water changer setup. Changed about 50% of the water and than tested my water. I should have tested it before too but I didnt :/

So after the change ammo: 0.0 Nitrite: 0.0 Nitrate: 40-60 (hard to tell with the orange and reds)

So im thinking its possible I may have completed the cycle last night but I added another 4ppm to double check and make sure. Ill check again tomorrow at 730pm and hopefully everything is perfect :)

As a sidenote I noticed that when I started to add a pitch of ground up fish food everyday the cycle went much faster. Anyways Ill post back tomorrow to update how it went thanks again!

I was told that it is best to keep the tank dark during the cycling. With plants you need light and CO2. What do you guys think?

Jim

I was told that it is best to keep the tank dark during the cycling. With plants you need light and CO2. What do you guys think?

Jim

Ive seen that as well, but Id like to call BS on that. Just doesnt really make much sense since most of the BB is in the filter which is dark anyways.

I keep my light on a few hours a day just to keep the plants happy.

Tested this morning at 8am: ammo:.25 Nitrite: 4ppm Nitrate: very red but I have no idea what it is +80ppm

I agree as well. Lowlight, lowtech plants dont 'need' CO2 but adding it is always a bonus. Whether the lights are on or off, your tank will still cycle. :)

Just tested again.

Ammo: 0ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: Very high off the chart

Im pretty sure that by 730 tonight I will have processed everything successfully :)

Guess its time to start stocking after my water change :)

Back
Top Bottom