Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mananhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
My girlfriend and I are very excited. We are showing some nitrites. Yay!!!!! The question is to add ammonia or not to add? That is the question. And i am looking to the experts here for the answers. My girlfriend has scoured the internet and this site but can not find the answer.

Thank you all for your help!!!!

AA Roxors my Boxors!!!!!

Yes keep adding the ammonia, if the ammonia dies off the cycle will die off too. Congratulations on the beginning (middle) of your cycle!

Thank you very much for the quick reply keep adding ammonia until when is now the question?

Short answer: you want to add ammonia to about 2 ppm every day (some may say a little higher; some a little lower). When ammonia and nitrites both get to zero within 24 hours of adding ammonia, and you've got the nitrates to prove it, you are cycled!

Thank you all my girlfriend and i are a little new at this whole thing. We appreciate the help with all this thank you very much. After the ammonia and nitrites get to zero with in 24 hours we do a pwc right. How much 10% or so or more?

Lots more. Most of the articles I've ever seen on fishless cycling recommend about a 80-90% water change as the nitrates will be off the charts. Whatever your case, the goal is to get the nitrates at or below 20 ppm.....10 may be preferable. Nitrates are way less toxic than ammonia or nitrites, but in high concentration are still harmful to fish. HTH

Thank you very much. Now my girlfriend is looking at fish for her tank. She origanally wanted a betta but she is finding that the bettas are not very active. Oh well we have time and this is for another thread thank you all for the answers to the questions. You all are a wonderful help.

Female bettas are very active, and can be housed together. Contrary to popular belief they can be more colourful than males and can have longer tails.

I think she has decided on a Dwarf puffer and a zebra Otto. She seems to like the personality of the Dwarf Puffer and she likes the looks of the zebra Otto.

I would do some research on the puffer. I am not familiar with all the different types, but from posts I have seen, I think most or all of them are not suitable to be kept with most other fish.

Thank you for the advice on the puffers the articles that we read say that they are fine with slow moving fish ones that dont peak their curiosity.

One more question once the tank is cycled, how long can we keep it cycled without fish. I am guessing if we just keep adding ammonia it will maintain the cycle and the nitrates. I ask this incase we have to order the fish that she wants.

Thank you all for the advice and answers and opinions.

You can keep adding ammonia, or you can put a half of a raw shrimp in a filter bag and leave it in the tank close to the filter intake, that way it reduces the mess if you just put it into the tank. Then just keep monitoring your levels on a regular basis.

This would be a temporary fix to just keep everything in check for a short amount of time. Thank you all.

Thank you thank you thank you all. You have all provided a great help and I hope you will keep providing it.

Back
Top Bottom