Fishless cycle taking forever, wrong test kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowinak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I started my tank in December, been doing the fishless cycle since December 27th at that date I dosed it to 4.5-5ppm ammonia with blue ribbon ammonia. Since then I have been slowly adding decor and arranging everything how I want it got all that done about 3 weeks ago. My problem is I have barely noticed any change in ammonia since ive added it and am still only seeing trace amounts of nitrites. Today my readings are...

Ph=7.6
Temp=82
Ammonia=2.5-3? hard to tell
Nitrites=0.1
Nitrates=0.0

After this long im thinking something is wrong, ive looked at everything from my tap water to my ph level and read all i can about fishless cycling now im back to square one wondering what i did in December. Is a marine lab test kit ok to test freshwater? I was told yes only the Ph test is different. This is the one I got from my LFS Red Sea Marine Lab Test Kit

Please tell me this kit is not for freshwater and these readings im getting are way off and my tank is cycled and ready for fish...lol im getting very impatient :banghead:

I would get a freshwater kit, i wouldn't think they would be the same. I use the API freshwater kit. Got mine from amazon for 18.

The test kit may or may not be accurate for FW but just to be safe I'd get a FW kit, the API Master kit is best.

You did dechlorinate the water prior to putting it into the tank, right?

Is there an air stone in the tank or is the filter causing surface agitation? The bacteria require oxygen so if your water is stagnant that could be a factor. You should be seeing an ammonia drop by now so something is off.

I'd do a 100% water change to restore buffers and minerals in the water (don't forget to dose dechlorinator prior to the water going into the tank) then redose ammonia (make sure you aren't overdosing as that can stall the cycle too) and try to get a FW test kit and let's take it from there. You can also bump up your heat to 86 if your heater is adjustable.

So today I went and got my API freshwater test kit and a Aqueon water changer. Tested the tank water...
Temp=82
Ph=8.0
Ammonia=8.0 ! dang :(
Nitrite=0.0 another dang :(

Tap water...
Ph=8.0
Ammonia=0.25
didnt bother testing for anything else since the tank isn't showing anything else

Performed 100% water change, and yeah I have been using Aqueon water conditioner. Im gonna let it cycle overnight and check everything again tomorrow and start dosing ammonia if needed. Sucks starting over but on the plus side this water test kit is awsome and the Aqueon water changer works great so far!

Snowinak said:
So today I went and got my API freshwater test kit and a Aqueon water changer. Tested the tank water...
Temp=82
Ph=8.0
Ammonia=8.0 ! dang :(
Nitrite=0.0 another dang :(

Tap water...
Ph=8.0
Ammonia=0.25
didnt bother testing for anything else since the tank isn't showing anything else

Performed 100% water change, and yeah I have been using Aqueon water conditioner. Im gonna let it cycle overnight and check everything again tomorrow and start dosing ammonia if needed. Sucks starting over but on the plus side this water test kit is awsome and the Aqueon water changer works great so far!

With ammonia that high u don't need to dose any

that was before the large water change, im down to 1.0 this morning so i added a little ammonia and will check it again later and get up to 4.0

That could be the issue; if ammonia was 8 this whole time that could have inhibited the cycle. You want to test at the 24 hour mark after dosing and only dose more if it falls <2.

Thats what I figured, tested and dosed the tank today back up to 4.0 water is looking good temp is steady at 82 and Ph has been steady at 8.0. Im going to be stocking a rainbow shark, tiger barbs, and eventually a pleco is this Ph going to be a problem for them? Seems a little high but like i said it is stable

Back
Top Bottom