fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, the fishless cycle on my 48 gallon is coming along nicely. Nitrites have spiked and ammonia levels are dropping. I'm just wondering if they're dropping too much. I added enough ammonia late yesterday afternoon to bring the levels to around 3ppm. This morning when I tested it was .25ppm. Should I add even more ammonia then? I'm afraid to overdose and ruin the cycle because I read somewhere that once nitrites show up you should try to keep the ammonia at around 3ppm. Also, how much longer can I expect the cycle to last? I seeded with established tank material. I can't wait to put my fish in there! Thanks everyone. :)

No, don't worry too much about amonia.
Regular small doses twice a day is plenty. It will read zero soon just before adding a dose, that is normal.

You have to keep in mind that once the ammonia==>nitrite bacteria has gotten well established, you do not need to maintain a particular ammonia consentration level in the tank. You just have to keep the bacteria well fed so that they do not die while trying to colonize the nitrite ==>nitrate bacteria. If you keep adding too much ammonia, the ammonia==>nitrite bacteria will adjust their numbers to quickly convert all that ammonia to nitrite, but with hardly any nitrite==>nitrate bacteria in the tank, the nitrite levels will go through the roof. I one day had to do three 75% PWC in a single day just to get my nitrite levels down to a level low enough that my liquid test kit could attempt to accurately measure the nitrite levels.

Based on my (limited) experience, I would say that you only need to add one or two drops of ammonia for every 10 gallons of water twice per day to maintain the established ammonia==>nitrite bacteria while you wait to get the nitrite==>nitrate bacteria established.

I agree with HooKooDooKu.
When I got to this stage with my 75 gallon I used an insulin syringe to add amonia twice a day.(made it easier to spread around) I added about 1/8 teaspoon twice a day.

Ok...so I don't even need to get a reading on my ammonia then? I could have sworn that I read not to let the levels get below 1ppm. My tank is 48 gallons. I should be ok putting 1/8 teaspoon 2x a day right? I don't have a syringe but I have a little eyedropper thingee. It seems easier to use the teaspoon.

You only need to maintain a particular level of ammonia until the tank has completed the 1st stage of the cycling process. Your first stage of the cycling process is complete when you have enough ammonia==>nitrite bacteria in your tank to handle the daily amount of ammonia you expect the fish will eventually produce.

If you continue to try to force a particular ppm level of ammonia in the tank, you are just going to grow more ammonia==>nitrite bacteria than you need, and in the process send nitrite through the roof because there will not be enough nitrite==>nitrate bacteria in the tank to handle all the nitrite being produced from the ever increasing amount of ammonia you would have to add to the tank to maintain some particular level.

While I don't have enough practical experience to say exactly when you can consider a tank to have completed this 1st stage of the cycle, I would estimate that you can consider the 1st stage complete when you can add about two drops of ammonia per 10 gallons of water per day and 24 hours later you get an ammonia reading of 0ppm. Once you reach that level, you only need to keep adding that 2 drops / 10 gallons daily to maintain the ammonia==>nitrite bacteria levels while the nitrite==>nitrate bacteria try to catch up. Even then, it's very easy for nitrite levels to go through the roof because it's relatively easy to grow the ammonia==>nitrite bacteria, but the nitrite==>nitrate bacteria are a little bit harder to get going. Until that 2nd set of bacteria really gets going, all that ammonia you are adding to the tank gets converted to nitrite with nothing in the tank to convert the nitrite to nitrate.

So yes, once your tank can convert 2 drops of ammonia per 10 gallons of tank water per day into nitrite, quit testing ammonia levels and just keep adding that level of ammonia feeding.

Again, my number of 2 drops per 10 gallons is just an estimate. An exact number would be more dependant on the stock level you plan to have in the tank once it's fully cycled.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks! I hope I didn't screw things up. I added like 6 teaspoons yesterday and it was 0 this morning so I added the same amount this morning. It's already back down to about 1. Should I not put anymore in tonight then? And I only add the 2 drops per gallon once a day or twice a day?

So, I just tested the water and even after adding all that ammonia this morning. My nitrites look like they're between .50 and 1ppm. Closer to one though so those are coming down too. I guess I should test for nitrates too. Thanks for helping and any other advice you can give would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions before this is all over. lol

One thing to keep in mind. Some of us have experienced situations where the water test kits basically have just flat out failed when readings have been super high. So you might want to double check things. Not only should you check nitrates, but also do another nitrite test, do a 50% PWC, and test nitrates and nitrites again and see if they are not about half of what they were before the PWC.

I checked nitrates and they were 5ppm. Is that normal for this stage of fishless cycle? I use my test kits for my other tanks too and the levels do go down when I do partial water changes. I have a small 3 gallon tank that is still cycling and I test and do PWC everyday so my test kits are fine as far as I can tell. Is that the only reason you suggested a PWC or was there another reason to do that during a fishless cycle? I read that you're supposed to do a big water change when it's finished and the nitrates are high or if you overdosed on ammonia. Who knew fishkeeping was so complicated! lol Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Ok wait...I just read your last post over again. The test kits can give a false reading if the levels are too high? Wouldn't the colour be at the highest end of the scale then? Arghhhhhh! My head is starting to hurt. lol

My personal experience has been once you get above about the third color, the results can be very unreliable. With my last cycle, I was getting nitrate reading of between 20ppm and 40ppm, but my actual values were over 120ppm, as evidenced by the fact I had to do three 75% PWC back to back to get reading the test could accuragely detect (like 10ppm).

Once levels start getting high, it appears that the test strips become more accurate. In other words, it appears that test strips are useless for detecting low levels accurately, but are very good at high levels, while liquid tests are the other way around.

When I brought this subject up, someone else indicated that they had a test showing a low level when in fact it was extreamly high.

I think you are doing just fine and very near the end of your cycle.
I did actually have a tank I cycled once that got so high on nitrate that it not only stalled my cycle in the nitrite phase but it also overwhelmed the test kit and actually read 0 when in fact it was off the chart high.
I don't believe you have this problem and your test are most likely spot on.

Well, I did a PWC last night....about a third of the water. Nitrites didn't change much but then it didn't change much when I cycled my 10 gallon either. I'm gonna wait it out for a few days and see what happens with the levels. The nitrites took forever on my 10 gallon. I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully they'll come down on there own. Maybe I'll go buy one of those test strips. Thanks guys!

I would encourage you to buy a good liquid test kit rather than the strips. The test strips are inaccurate and practically useless. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what you should get. It is about $25 and will last you a while.

I have the liquid testers. I was just thinking to get the strips because hookoodooku said that they read really high levels better for this fishless cycle that I'm doing. :)

Technically you shouldn't let any of the levels get so high you can't read them with the liquid kit.
No higher than 5ppm amonia or nitrite or about 60ppm nitrate or you will risk stalling the cycle.

I just meant for false readings. Didn't you guys say that the liquid testers can give false reading if your levels are really high...you won't even know it?
And that the test strips give a more accurate reading for high levels? The liquid test kit that I have jumps right from 1ppm to 2ppm to 5ppm. It looks more like 1ppm when I test but now I keep second guessing myself thinking that maybe it's really 5 and I'm just deluding myself. I need a fish expert to come and cycle my tank for me. heehee

Back
Top Bottom