Fishless cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badman85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up my tank on Friday and doing a fishless cycle. Now I know you can use raw shrimp as a source of ammonia but can I use a raw prawn (might be a silly question). If I can how many and when do I put them in and take them out.

For the tests I have bought an api master kit.

I'm not sure about prawn, but I think it would be easier to use a shrimp. How big is your tank?

It's a 160 litre (not sure how many gallons that is. Measurements are 100cm x 40cm x 40cm. Where would I get a raw shrimp from.

Use Eco's guide that I've linked you here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

He's also really responsive to help you if you have any questions along the way!
I'm cycling my tank right now and he keeps an eye on my log and makes sure everything is going smooth as he does with most of the other newbies to cycling.

It really helps to do a log of your cycle as well so that the community has enough info to give you good advice and direction.
Good luck!

I've used prawns to cycle all my tanks, I've never had any problems with it. I even used a mussel once. I find tying them in an old pair of tights... or if your American pantyhose? :) is useful, that way its easy to remove when its all rotten and minging haha

Back
Top Bottom