Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dano104

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just fired my new aquarium up last Sunday (4 days ago). I am cycling my tank with pure ammonia, and SeaChem Stability. My water chemistry for the past 3 days has been: Ammonia 4ppm, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, ph 7.8 temp 80F. Being that I just started my tank with no "seeding" material, why would my water start to appear to be a little cloudy?

I think it is pretty common for tanks to do that. When I set mine up after about 24 hours it got very cloudy, but cleared back up within a few days. You could probably raise the temp. a few degrees and it could make things go a little faster. If you can't find anywhere to get seeded material near you, you could always buy an "active" filter from angelsplus.com I bought one of those and has really sped up my cycle. Good Luck!

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! It sounds like your off to a good start. Did you use a dechlorinator in addition to the Stability? The Stability product does not remove chlorine or chloramines which will prevent your beneficial bacteria from growing. I suspect the cloudiness is related to the Stability product. My advice would be to skip the Stability, just use a good water conditioner (such as Prime), & have some patience. Please ask if you have any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I think the OP is asking when it will get cloudy, not that it is yet (although I could be wrong, it's been a long day lol). Every tank is different; my tank never got cloudy when I cycled it. It's only been a few days though so anything can happen. :)

Are you using sand or gravel? I have white sand and when I fired my tank up for the first time it took about 4-5 days before the water finally started to clear up even though i washed the sand and all decor. Give it a few days and im sure everything will settle. Its too early to be a bacteria or alga bloom

When I initially setup the new tank, I added the 50 gallons of water (untreated) allowed to cycle for 30 minutes, to kill any unwanted bacteria with the chlorinated water. After the 30 minutes were up I de-chlorinated with API Stress Coat, which I allowed to cycle for 3 Hours. At this point I added the initial amount of SeaChem Stability, and have been adding it per instructions to this day. Water just appears to be lightly cloudy (white hue, not green)

I am using gravel for substrate which was heavily rinsed.

My tank chemistry for today (day 5):
ammonia: 3-4ppm
ph: 7.8
nitrites: neg
nitrates: neg
temp: 82.0F

Does it sound like I have to wait for cloudiness to clear itself, or should I try to polish water with a low micron filter? I believe it is probably too early to be a bacterial bloom.

I have only added ammonia (Z-force Extra Strength - clear) once.

I suspect the Stability is causing the cloudiness. Another filter isnt necessary but if the cloudiness is annoying, a water change will remove the product. Just make sure you use temperature-matched, conditioned water. Dose the conditioner before refilling if your using python/water changer & skip the Stability. I do not think this product is doing anything here other than clouding your water.

I just set up a new tank ad it's very cloudy from micro bubbles from the filter. Do you notice if it could just be bubbles?

I did initially have a real problem with microbubbles, however it was easily fixed by adjusting the spray bar on the emperor filters to spray parallel with the ground, versus spraying at a downward angle.

Added a few "hardy" fish, (purchased for me as a gift), I still haven't seen a ammonia drop (0.5-1.0ppm). Tank has been up for almost 3 weeks now..... No nitrites either.

Did you do a big water change before adding the fish?? You need to do a couple of big water changes now that fish are in there to get your amm level below .25ppm. Do not add ammonia now that fish are in there- they are providing the ammonia source. Ill post a link for fish-in cycling- you will need some patience & you will have to test your water daily & do water changes as needed to keep your fish healthy.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom