fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simmak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 1.0 and nitrate 80 my Ph is 7.6. It is a 64L tank. How close am I to introducing fish. Water change tommorrow. How long will nitrite take to hit 0 and are there any additives like tetra safe start to reduce nitrite. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

simmak said:
My readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 1.0 and nitrate 80 my Ph is 7.6. It is a 64L tank. How close am I to introducing fish. Water change tommorrow. How long will nitrite take to hit 0 and are there any additives like tetra safe start to reduce nitrite. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are u adding to bring the ammonia up? I wouldn't do a wc yet, its not needed. You can't add fish until nitrites read 0!!!

I am adding fish food pellets for a few days to simulate overfeeding. Then remove and test and add more. The ammonia goes up to 0.25-0.5 then drops to 0 but nitrites don't seem to move that's why I was considering tetra safe start. Am I doing something wrong

Your ammonia isn't getting high enough and ur bacteria isn't growing yet. You need pure ammonia to get it to 4 ppm. If they are dropping, it means you have some bb eating so u should be seeing nitrites. Are you seeing nitrates yet at all.

Additives like safe start won't reduce nitrite. They theoretically can help build the bacteria up that you need but they can be hit and miss and not very reliable. I agree that dosing with fish food isn't exact; ideally you want to get your ammonia up to 4. It's good you have nitrite already (assuming your tap water has 0 nitrite) ....the nitrite phase is the longest though and can take a few weeks on its own. If you can get some pure ammonia it would be an easier way to dose. I know some in the UK have used Boots ammonia to cycle tanks.

Here are some links if you haven't seen them:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thank you librarygirl for that link it has explained exactly what I have to do was getting bogged down with different views and conflicting ways to get a tank up and running. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom