Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay! I didn't get to test last night! Got caught up saying goodbye to a friend who is leaving for china! But I did test this morning! Ammonia is between a 0 and a .5 and nitrites are through the roof! Above a 10.0 nitrates are 20-30.

Okay! I'm gonna do that now! Does it matter that I'm dosing it back up and my nitrites are so high! And yet my nitrates haven't really started? Or is this normal!

Okay! I'm gonna do that now! Does it matter that I'm dosing it back up and my nitrites are so high! And yet my nitrates haven't really started? Or is this normal!

It's normal it will catch up. You just want to keep dosing it back up till it all turns to nitrate within 24 hours or pretty close to that. Then do a big water change to get nitrate down and dose back up to be sure. Then you should be done.

What's your temp at? Being higher will help the bacteria growth.

Last edited:
I set it at 82 after reading somewhere that above 80 degrees helps bacteria. And I did dose it back up to 4 ppm btw.

Nine bajillion times easier. Lol I'm just lucky we had an ace hardware in the area that sells the ammonia. I live in a kind of spread out area so it can be hard to find specific things like that sometimes.

Okay! My ammonia this morning is between zero and .5 almost completely zero. My nitrites are off the chart above a 10.0 and my nitrates are about 80. Do I dose it again?

Alright! And nitrites just keep converting till they can all convert overnight? That's what I'm eventually looking for?

Alright! Today: ammonia: 0, nitrites: way above what the chart reads(greater than 10.0) nitrates just under 80.

Thank you! Once it's all nitrate, then what? And how long do you think it'll take to convert all to nitrate? Thanks for completely walking me through this btw.

I appreciate it!

Thank you! Once it's all nitrate, then what? And how long do you think it'll take to convert all to nitrate? Thanks for completely walking me through this btw.

I appreciate it!

Once it all converts you'll have t do a really big water change to lower the nitrates down to under 20. Then you can stock away. If it's going to be awhile before getting any fish. Then do the water change to get the trates down like I said above and keep adding a little ammonia to feed the bacteria so you don't lose it.

Back
Top Bottom