fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting my tank and ready to cycle it. I bought some MicroBacter7 to help with the cycle. Here's my dumb question. I still need an ammonia source...right?

Go to the seafood counter at the grocery & pick up an uncooked/raw shrimp, drop it in (leaving the lights off/pumps running), and let the cycle run it's course......

I heard you could use pure ammonia to cycle the tank. Is that true. If I use a shrimp wouldn't that be a mess in the tank ?

If you go the ammonia method, make sure it's PURE ammonia...... cannot have any other additives in it.

I've used raw shrimp & never had an issue with smell....... drop it in and let it go.

Pure ammonia works just fine but is a bit more maintenance. If you use the shrimp method stick it inside a unused pantyhose so it can be easily removed with a minimal mess.

If you use ammonia you need to keep dosing .
If you use a shrimp or a few depends on the size it will decay maintaining constant ammonia source .
You might want to put it in something to assist in easy removal after the cycle is complete .
I left mine in and the bristle worms in my rocks ate it or filtered out .

Back
Top Bottom