Fishless cycling a 55 - My experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to go the fishless route and use ammonia. I consider myself an animal lover so I saw no other way, and there is no way I'm letting shrimp rot in my living room. haha.:) I was lucky enough to locate an Ace Hardware close to my house. They seem to be the ONLY place you can find clear ammonia without surfactants. Save yourself some headache and just go to ACE. and make sure to get an eye dropper. Rite Aide or any pharmacy should have them. I got one for water and one for ammonia so as to not cross contaminate.

My setup is as follows:
55 gallon tank
2 Hagen AquaClear 70's
250W Aqueon Pro Heater
AquaticLife Dual T-5 Freshwater
No air pump or air stones.

My tank is running at a constant 85.5 degrees, and the dual AC70's are insane bubble factories which is why I didn't set up an air pump or air stone. I also have the water level about 1/4" below the bottom trim. This helps a lot with surface agitation which creates oxygenation and the bacteria will thrive in this environment.

I started by adding 25 drops to my tank, waited an hour and tested for ammonia. My results were .5ppm

Then I added 40 more drops and got 2ppm (65 drops total = approx. 2ppm)

Finally I added 70 drops because I figured that would land me between 4-5ppm which is the ideal spot for fishless cycling. (135 total = approx. 4ppm)

I will test my tank tonight to see what my ammonia value is after 24 hours. Then add 140 more drops. and keep doing that everyday until NITRITES show up to the party. When they do show up I'll cut my ammonia dose to 70 drops (half) until ammonia and nitrites reach 0. That is when NITRATES come crash the party. It seems simple in text. :)

So by my crude calculations using Ace Hardware brand ammonia in a 55 gallon tank you would need approx. 130-175 drops to reach a total of 4-5ppm. It's hard to be exact because the API test kit isn't exact, but this should help you get close. The 5 drops per 10 gallons of water rule is way off but gives you a good baseline.

Just thought I'd add this:
The Aqueon heater is amazing! I have it set to 85 degrees and it maintains it within .5 of a degree.

The AC70's are exactly what everyone says. The best HOB power filter you can buy. I figured if 1 is good why not 2! :onfire: They were definitely a good investment. My water was clear in about 12 hours after I powered up the filters.

Any questions, comments or criticisms are welcome. I'm new to this and learning every day.

Raise the water level if you want to cut back on the bubbles. My AC70 on my 29g starts making a lot of splashing noise if the water level drops much below the rim of the tank.

Looks like you've got the hang of things. Don't be afraid to do a PWC if your cycle appears to stall.

You could add some plants now if you want, if you have great. I think it would be better to decorations now before there are fish and living things in there. Were you thinking of have live plant?

Yep - sounds like you are on a great path.

When your cycle ends or nears completion, I would recommend raising the water level as BigJim suggested, and turning the heater down to 78-82 for tropical fish (78 will be better if you want to plant).

The only way I know to compute ammonia ppm is by mass, using a formula Crepe posted. It follows:

Crepe said:
55 gallons of water will weigh about 208kg or 208000grams
1 Litre of 10% Ammonia will contain in it 100 grams of NH3 ions.
1 teaspoon= ~5ml therefore one teaspoon will contain in it .5 grams if NH3 ions.
.5/208000= 2.4 ppm.

Hope that helps. 5ml (one teaspoon) would raise ammonia by 2.4 ppm.

Best of luck, and welcome to AA! I grew up in Southern California (I'm now a NorCal resident) and spent a bit of time in Lancaster - good to see a hobbyist out there. When you are set up, you should post a picture!

I just finished testing my tank for Ammonia and got 4ppm. :)

It looks like I got the first part right. I guess ill wait until I see the Ammonia dropping before I add more.

Now the boring part. Waiting.

On the bright side I can research some more fish. I still can't decide on what I want to get. Definitely some Corydoras (there's hundreds), some Botia Striata, and a couple of species of Tetras. Like Lemon and Penguin.

You could add some plants now if you want, if you have great. I think it would be better to decorations now before there are fish and living things in there. Were you thinking of have live plant?

My tank is already decorated and I decided to go with plastic plants. More specifically Tetras WaterWonders. This is my first legit aquarium and I was a little intimidated by using live plants. Haha. My light setup is capable so I may go the live route in the future when I gain some more knowledge.

Glad you decided to go the fishless route, you definitely won't regret it. While the wait can be very boring, it is well worth it! Good luck.

Just curious, what is your light fixture? If it's powerful (generally T5s or multiple T8s/T12s) it may present algae issues without plants.

Just curious, what is your light fixture? If it's powerful (generally T5s or multiple T8s/T12s) it may present algae issues without plants.

I have the AquaticLife Dual T-5 HO Freshwater setup. It's like having my own little sun in my living room. :eek: It has one 6,000K bulb and one Roseate bulb. I plan to limit the light cycle to no more than 8-10 hours on so I don't think algae should be a huge problem. At least I hope not.

Well, Dual T5 HOs @ 6000K puts you at about 1 wpg. That being T5HO, you most likely will have algae issues running for 8-10 hours. I would suggest, if you want to keep that fixture, to run it only when you want to view the tank, or no more than 3-4 hours a day to avoid algae.

It might be easier to replace it with a cheap, low-powered shop light you can run for longer.

I just did my second tank water test. (48 hours after initial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm
Ammonia added: NONE

I thought the ammonia was supposed to drop when the nitrites show up?

Nitrite already? Nice! Test again maybe just to check.

My ammonia has barely gone down and I dosed a week ago tomorrow -___-

I just did my second tank water test. (48 hours after initial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

I thought the ammonia was supposed to drop when the nitrites show up?

Yes ammonia does drop to produce nitrites, but in this case I don't think you will be able to tell with the test kit.

ppm (parts per million) is a measure of concentration based on mass, NH3/NO2 and NO3 do not have the same mass. If you do the calculations it comes out to 1 ppm of ammonia forms 2.7 ppm of nitrite then 3.6 ppm of nitrate. So, to form 0.5ppm of nitrite only 0.2ppm of ammonia were used (0.5/2.7) and I don't think one can tell the difference between 3.8 and 4ppm with color indicator kits.

Hope this helps and best of luck with fishless cycling (I am currently fishless cycling my 75gal too, 2 weeks in)

Did another test last night. (3 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

Another Test. (4 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

things are moving so slooooowly...haha :p I was excited to see nitrites so soon, but they are taking forever to eat the ammonia. I haven't added any since my intial dose.

Another Test. (4 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

things are moving so slooooowly...haha :p I was excited to see nitrites so soon, but they are taking forever to eat the ammonia. I haven't added any since my intial dose.

Lol, patience is key. I am very impatient when it comes to cycling, so I feel your pain. Hang in there.

:lol: Waiting is boring... it's the only time when testing your water is your fish tank's most exciting activity :p

But it's nice when you see the nitrite tube turn purple for the first time. "I am a scientist. I MADE BACTERIA GROW THAT MADE PURPLE."

:lol: Waiting is boring... it's the only time when testing your water is your fish tank's most exciting activity :p

But it's nice when you see the nitrite tube turn purple for the first time. "I am a scientist. I MADE BACTERIA GROW THAT MADE PURPLE."

:pHaha how pathetic is it that I still find testing my water exciting. I test everyday and keep a log :lol!:

Another Test. (5 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

ahhhhhhh...... :uzi:

Back
Top Bottom