Fishless Cycling For Dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where do bacteria come from

Hi Guys! This is my first post here and I am just starting in the hobby.
I have nowhere to get mature gravel or filter media from. How do I get the bacteria into the tank at the start, or does it just float in on the air? :confused:

The bacteria is there, it just doesn't have a food source. Once you add the ammonia it will start to reproduce.

Thanks meegosh. That was a quick reply. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before starting the cycling. Looks like this is a great place to come!

ah, hello, new to all this, at first boring, but moreso becoming fascinating, (and, yes, expen$ive). Either way, 1 thank you for the information and making it truely for "dummies" like me.

second, I have a question:

I see i can buy a test kit on line rather cheap... (see below):

Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water & aquarium water.Tests water 6 different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions.Tests include freshwater pH, ammonia, nitrite, high range pH, GH & KH, 4 test tubes, tray.

However, i do not see where it tests for nitrAtes- see I DID learn something... is the API Freshwater master test kit incomplete and I need to purchase NitrAte (N03 ? ) test kit seperately?

lemme know someone pls.

thanks, and great site... much better than the OTHER one I checked out.
mjg

Taken from the API website:

"This kit tests tap water and aquarium water for five different parameters that affect the health of freshwater fish: pH, High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Highly accuate and economical. Unique, transparent dome allows clear view of contents. Includes all tests required to test the nitrogen cycle. Kit includes computer-calibrated and laminated color cards, 4 glass test tubes and holding tray. Also contains complete, step-by-step instruction booklet, including information on how to correct unsafe water conditions. Compact and easy to store. Over 800 tests."

Ok, did I get hosed or good buy, paid 14.99 for the complete AP freshwater master test kit. shipping was 5.89 so like 20.88 total..

you keep dosing ammonia until the cycle is over and you're ready to add fish... once ammonia and nitrite is 0 within 12 (depends on who you ask) hours, and you have measurable nitrates, then you can do the 50% pwc and add fish... you want to add fish within 24 hours of doing the pwc, so if the cycle is done a week before you're ready for fish, keep dosing some ammonia every day, then do your pwc the night before you get your fish

I've been cycling my first tank for a week now and I'm seeing very high nitrite and nitrate readings. I'm not sure if this is a really good thing or a really bad thing. A week seems too quick to be seeing these things. I did a 50% water change this evening to lower the level and haven't really seen small declines in all ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests.
I haven't really seeded the tank - although I bought 2 annubias barteri from the LFS that were pre-mounted on driftwoood (they aren't looking too healthy at the moment).
DSC00006.JPG

Any idea what is going on? What should I do? I don't want to loose the annubias.

where did you buy your pure ammonia, none of my LFS has it, i tried calling the hardware store and they only had scented ones, so was wondering if any of you guys ordered yours online? if so, which website and the name of the product please

Ace Hardware is the only place ive found it, thanks to the recomendations from others on here. it's Ace brand as well. they call it janitorial strength. also look to see if you can find any that dont bubble in the bottle when shaken, it should go flat right away.

Sorry can't help as I do not live in the US - I got mine from Homebase (maybe you have them in the US?). I found mine hidden in the cleaning products aisle so maybe you will have some luck scouring those sections in your local chemists/supermarkets/hardware stores. Make sure it does not contain any other ingredients to aid in cleaning. Someone else may know exactly what ingredients are acceptable.

gotta give credit to mommytron on this:
either way i'd suggest pure ammonia instead of fish food. the ammonia shows up immediately, it's much cleaner because there is nothing rotting in your tank, and it's much easier to dose up higher so you can add more fish at once, not to mention there is no way to really "dose" fish food accurately without tons of testing, because it takes so long for it to rot and produce ammonia. it's just much easier (and cleaner) IMO

Back
Top Bottom