fishless cycling - i think i used the wrong ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mchief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i've been adding ammonia from the standard household cleaner type of ammonia at 4-5 drops/10 gal for the past three weeks. i've been checking my h20 parameters and i've haven't got any nitrites/nitrates yet.

so today i did some more research and as fear gripped me, i went and shook my bottle of ammonia and sure enough, it foamed up a good 2-3 inches at the top of the bottle.

my ammonia is around 1ppm. i was thinking of doing a 50% water change, waiting a few days and then doing that again. would that remove enough surfactants from the water so it is safe? i couldn't have added more than, what, 4-5 tsps over 3 weeks?

mchief said:
would that remove enough surfactants from the water so it is safe? i couldn't have added more than, what, 4-5 tsps over 3 weeks?
Polyfilter or carbon changed daily and aggressive skimming along with the water changes should help.

Chers
Steve

i wanted to try the ammonia method, i've done the fish method before and don't feel quite right about it - b/c i think it's hard on the fish. but i'm not opposed to death since i now have my first addition to the tank, one dead shrimp.

i was concerned about the surfactants in the ammonia but i think the water changes and filtering should make it fine.

I know it would slow you down, but since you've got no fish in there you could dump and rinse everything thoroughly and start over, to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom