fishless cycling journal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok so i got some seachem prime bc i needed dechlorinator. how much do i need for 3 gallons of water? or how many mililiters per gallon?

not sure about 3 gallons... you'd have to use a dropper. i know that each thread line in the cap is 1mL , and you need 1mL for every 10 gallons. if you are wondering for a water change on your 10g, just add enough for the entire tank size, not just the water you're replacing (so 1mL, just one thread in the cap) make sense?

yea and update:
got some dwarf hairgrass for my 10 gallon since im medium lighting.anybody have any experience with it? do i need anything extra?
also i saw my betta flare for the first time at his reflection! he's looking ALOT healthier then when i got him. ill post some pics of him showing off in a sec. im thinking im deffinently cycled everybody looks happy but im gonna do a quick water change to see.

here he is
5697602565_4fa0a43cd7.jpg

5698180996_87a7bcd9cb.jpg

oh and i meant water check! haha! and thanks! he's become my favorte fish soooo much personality. oh and i retested everythings still 0 :) im cycled!!!!! cant wait to see my dwarf hairgrass carpet my substrate!

ok so update:
10 gallon confusing me-
ammo-.24-.50 (i dont get it the only thing i did yesterday was feed my betta bloodworms and add dwarf hairgrass :/)
nitrites-0
nitrates 5.0
5 gallon-
ammo-1.0
nitrites-.25
nitrates-really close to 5.0

ok so thank you mr.limpet i read that the seachem prime makes it look like you have ammo when you doont

Is that with fish in it? If so you wanna get that ammo below .25 with back to back water changes.

edit: i think i thought i was in another thread of yours..obviously this one says fishless lol sorry

yup, PFS is great stuff, that should work fine. I wonder what's up with your cycle?? weird. just keep with the PWCs

ok 10 gallon nothing changed
ammo-1.0-2.0
nitrites-0
nitrates-5.0
5 gallon
ammo-2.0
nitrites wayyyyyyyyyyyy off th charts,
nitrates 10.0
no fish but do i need a water change?

10 gallon
ammo-.25
nitrites-0
nitrates-0
(im pretty sure im either having a mini cycle or the cycle is totally starting again if it's the second on ima die)
5 gallon
ammo-.25-.50
nitrites-5.0
nitrates-5.0

ok first off, it would be much easier to assess one tank at a time. maybe you could start a separate thread for your 5gallon if you're needing help with it?

as far as your 10 gallon, by your readings, it does sound like it's kind of started from scratch. could you go into detail what your maintenance/PWC procedures are like? (how often, how much water you take out, how you put it back it, how you temperature match, do you vacuum the substrate, do you rinse your filters/media, when do you use dechlor and how much, etc.)

and anything else you think we should know about your tank/inhabitants.

ok first off, it would be much easier to assess one tank at a time. maybe you could start a separate thread for your 5gallon if you're needing help with it?

as far as your 10 gallon, by your readings, it does sound like it's kind of started from scratch. could you go into detail what your maintenance/PWC procedures are like? (how often, how much water you take out, how you put it back it, how you temperature match, do you vacuum the substrate, do you rinse your filters/media, when do you use dechlor and how much, etc.)

and anything else you think we should know about your tank/inhabitants.
i do maintnabce when i see anythng like ammo or nitrites over .25,i take out 3 gallon of water adding about 1ml of seachem prime everytime. when my filter starts spittin out brown stuff shake it in my 5 gallon. i temp check by touch and im only 2-3 degrees of sometimes. i have plants my sand isnt cluttered i just dont get why id be starting over i didnt add chlorinated water or anythng. i do vacume when it looks dirty. tank has
1-male betta
1-chinese algae eater(leaving this weekend),
3-juli corys(acclimating while my 29 gets ready)

Back
Top Bottom