Fishless Cycling Need Urgent Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So earlier this week as I was cycling (Fishless cycle) my aquarium, my Ammonia levels spiked up to 8.0ppm++. I'm pretty sure its over 8.0 since the API test kit doesn't show over 8.0. I have no nitrites or nitrates. I'm also on my 6th day on using Seachem Stability.

So I'll be doing like a 50-70% water change today and will be adding in new water. (Will that be okay?)

Also my family member has an aquarium (Just found out about that now) and so what should I do? Should I ask to borrow some gravel rocks and some water? I have sand in mines so will it be okay if I put some gravel on top of the sand?

It's a 10 gallon tank with no plants or fishes.

Is there any other suggestions on what I should do with my problem?

Aquarium water won't have enough BB in it to help in a meaningful way. Gravel might be useful. What you can do is put a good sized handful (or two) of gravel in a mesh bag or some old pantyhose. Then put THAT in you filter. Ideally you want it placed in front of the existing media so that the water flow will push the BB from the gravel bag and not the normal filter media.
Once you're sure your tank is cycled, then you can give back the gravel if they want it or toss it out if they don't.

Hope this helps

Aquarium water won't have enough BB in it to help in a meaningful way. Gravel might be useful. What you can do is put a good sized handful (or two) of gravel in a mesh bag or some old pantyhose. Then put THAT in you filter. Ideally you want it placed in front of the existing media so that the water flow will push the BB from the gravel bag and not the normal filter media.
Once you're sure your tank is cycled, then you can give back the gravel if they want it or toss it out if they don't.

Hope this helps

So my filter is a Aquaclear 30 so should I take out the carbon and the mesh bag that contains (something else forgot). and just replace it with the gravel? or just leave everything in that filter and just add the meshbag of gravel?

Yes you can add the gravel bag. There should be a space where the water comes in to the filter where you can just place it in the filter. Ideally you should try to get some of your relatives filter media and put that in yours. But if all you have to work with is gravel use it every few days you want to take the gravel bag out and shake it in to the tank it should be cloudy that is a good thing and will clear quickly. It will help to release some of the bb in to your tank so that it can reattach on the hardscape of your tank.

Yes you can add the gravel bag. There should be a space where the water comes in to the filter where you can just place it in the filter. Ideally you should try to get some of your relatives filter media and put that in yours. But if all you have to work with is gravel use it every few days you want to take the gravel bag out and shake it in to the tank it should be cloudy that is a good thing and will clear quickly. It will help to release some of the bb in to your tank so that it can reattach on the hardscape of your tank.

Do I have to put the bag in the filter? Or can I just put the bag and let it float around inside the tank? I dont think theres any room in my filter where I can put the bag inside. Because I would have to remove the other mesh bag The one on the left on is an example of what I have, with my carbon bag and my foam thing. What do you mean by the "filter media"?

Back
Top Bottom