fishless cycling question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my 55 gal FOWLR tank last week with 65 lbs of cured live rock from the LFS. (Really nice large pieces I might add!). 4 days ago I added 1 large raw shrimp too begin the cycling process. I tested for ammonia today and it is still registering 0 ppm. How long should it take for ammonia levels to start registering? Is it possible that since the LR was already cured that it is able to handle the biolode of the shrimp already? Nitrites are also showing 0 ppm.

It is very possible that the live rock is able to handle the amount of ammonia being given off by the shrimp. As the decaying process picks up sopeed perhaps the ammonia might climb a bit higher.

It's possbile. What does the shrimp look like? Is it decaying?
I would check the ammonia and nitrate levels daily now looking for any rise in values.

The shrimp has turned a more opaque color (as if it were slightly cooked) and has definately started to breakdown. Also, a couple small bristle worms from my live rock have been knawing at it. A might also add that I have seen quite a few pods swimming around and on the glass when the lunar lights are on.

I'd expect it to take 3 days or more until you start seeing a hint of ammonia. You might not see much, if any, due to the cured live rock. If you start to see an increase in nitrAtes, without any increase in ammonia and nitrites, then your live rock is truly live and you can figure you're cycled.

I would expect it to take 3 to 5 days. Be patient before you know it the cycle will be going.

I just tested for nitrates for the first time. The reading is between 20-30ppm. Strange? Has anyone else seen this before? I added the"cured" live rock approx 30 minutes from buying it from the LFS.

Sounds pretty possible to me! Congrats!

I live in WA state, and I got my cured LR from Premium Aquatics in Ohio (I think). Had it airport-to-airport shipped and it was probably out of the water for 18 hours max. It was still wet in soggy newspapers when I got it home. I didn't have any noticeable ammonia spike when I cycled it either, and went right to nitrates. So I'd say the critters/bacterial probably didn't even notice 30 minutes of being out of the water!

Back
Top Bottom