Fishless+seeded+silent hybrid= super cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iMax

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those who don't know: a silent cycle is essentially planting your tank HEAVILY (75% rec) with fast growing stem plants and floaters and immediately adding fish with the plants keeping ammonia, trites ,and trates all 0

My question is, would combining the 3 make a sort of super cycle?

Example: live plants + some other piece of seeded media then skipping the fish for 7 days but adding 4ppm ammonia as often as needed then at the end of the week assuming parameters are all good adding in fish and switching over to purely silent cycling + whatever seeded items you had

I personally wouldn't add ammonia. If you plant a minimum of 80% of the substrate and use adequate seeded media that is all you need to do a very speedy cycle.

I personally wouldn't add ammonia. If you plant a minimum of 80% of the substrate and use adequate seeded media that is all you need to do a very speedy cycle.

Would you still throw fish in right away? It'd be a brand new setup so the plants would be fresh from a lfs or something like an assorted package from aquabid

When trying to do a silent cycle you need to put in plants like water sprite, wisteria, and other fast growing stem plants. They are the ones that will mop up ammonia and nitrates. That being said I would set the tank up and get it planted, then add your seeded media, and a "few" fish. Don't go crazy adding a truckload of fish and watch your levels but you should have little or no problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom