Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything in a 20L I would think might be more detrimental than good due to stress. I would go ahead and get another 20L or 2 for qt to reduce some stress (petco is having their dollar per gallon sale). As for the live rock, once copper is introduced its there for the long haul.. I've dealt with tanks where copper was dosed and 3 years later the live rock and what not was still leaching detectable amounts 3 years later and counting..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't go out and buy another 20L. The tank may be $20, but filter and heater put me at $100. That and im out of room for any more tanks. What I could do is use my fw QT for SW for a few weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't go out and buy another 20L. The tank may be $20, but filter and heater put me at $100. That and im out of room for any more tanks. What I could do is use my fw QT for SW for a few weeks.

Repurposing the FW is a good idea. Just hold off buying any new FW fish for a while.
In hindsight perhaps all of the new acquisitions (FW or SW) should have gone directly from the LFS to QT. I know it's after the fact but you've put a good deal of time, research, and resources into this tank it's a shame to have a setback like this. You'll get through this but I figure you'd rather be kicking back saying "Check this out!"
I'll stop chastising you now...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Repurposing the FW is a good idea. Just hold off buying any new FW fish for a while.
In hindsight perhaps all of the new acquisitions (FW or SW) should have gone directly from the LFS to QT. I know it's after the fact but you've put a good deal of time, research, and resources into this tank it's a shame to have a setback like this. You'll get through this but I figure you'd rather be kicking back saying "Check this out!"
I'll stop chastising you now...

Hind sights 20/20 I guess. It would be nice to just kick back though.

Yeah I'd QT from now on. I learned my lesson with the discus that quarantine is quite important.

Caleb

When it rains it pours. My dad called me at work at 2pm and said the flame angel, both tangs, and wrasse where dead. 20L temperature was 85 degrees and the heater was set for 75. The royal gramma isn't looking so hot right now.
Im moving the fish back to the 75 and taking the chance with ich.
$150 down the drain is not fun. Don't usually swear here but it has been a long day.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it rains it pours. My dad called me at work at 2pm and said the flame angel, both tangs, and wrasse where dead. 20L temperature was 85 degrees and the heater was set for 75. The royal gramma isn't looking so hot right now.
Im moving the fish back to the 75 and taking the chance with ich.
$150 down the drain is not fun. Don't usually swear here but it has been a long day.

Will the store take them back? Mine has a 2 week policy on fish if they become sick or die and a water test to prove it.

Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
72 hour on FW nothing on salt. Since I have gotten other deals from them like $ off all my LR, $15 for the two shrimp, and some other things I might get something like that, but I don't think they will take them back.

I still think in a low stress environment the fish will manage fine with ich. It's a bit of a risk, but I think it is low as long as the fish are eating well and not stressed. That's my experience being in this hobby for almost a decade now...

4 remaining fish are back in the 75. Don't think the gramma is going to make it through the night ? clowns are happy as ever, and the goby seems normal too.

Not sure if I can use the light hood I built because of heat. I have a 6 tube t5 ho fixture sitting 3.5" from the glass, and the air temp below the tubes is 105 degrees. Can't imagine how high it would get in a closed in space.

Sorry about the fish loss ?
You might be able to drill some holes in the top and attach muffin fans to dissipate the heat.

first let me say your lucky on the father son bond , I so miss my son I haven't seen him in over 15 years , he took me and my X wife's divorce very hard , I've always stayed in close contact with both him and his sister , my daughter is now with me even she try's so hard to get my son to come out to visit , my son has a slight mental disorder and doesn't take to change well , but this dad will never stop trying or give up ,
Ok now back on track , sorry about all the fish you lost , I always try to make it a point to order the expensive fish online as they get a depending on the vendor 7 to 14 survival guarantee most LFS have no sort of guarantee its more a S O L policy ,
I know it's hard not to see what your buying on line but I have not once been unhappy
and I've always had a 95% survival rate ,
fish that are more prone to Ick should be quarantined for no less than 30 days IMO and introduced slowly to the display tank , I have also noticed with tangs and angels that were QT if you catch them in the net and can transfer them into your had out of the net being able to bring them closer to the rocks for release they tend to do better , as they can hid and not be picked on and come out on there pace ,
It's not easy loosing 1 fish yet alone a handful , small fish a inch or smaller I have always added in numbers big fish over a inch and up 1 at a time it's less stress on the fish this way IMO

The gramma didn't make it, just texted my dad and he said its dead.

Edit: I'm really sorry to hear about that with your son 54

Ich in marine tanks is NOTHING like ich in freshwater!
Your dad has a good eye and is a very helpful source for you.
Who is left from original stocking?
Don't let this discourage you too much.
Let it discourage your bank account and realize the value of patience.
After 30+ years of this great hobby and learning(?:facepalm:) I still lost well over $300 worth of tangs to marine ich!
This does not include the fox face ,emperor angel, or the mono sebae.
Survivors were/ARE 2 black clowns,1 marine betta ,and a mandarin.
Some fish are just more resistant to ich but also may remain "carriers" of the infection.

I guess now I can look at the bright side of a very dark situation.
1. I still have my 2 clowns and maybe the goby(he is mia atm)
2. I didn't loose any of the rock
3. I got a very expensive taste of some fish I like the look of.
4. I have the chance to stock some different fish.

I'll be replacing the tangs, a wrasse of sorts, and the goby if he is dead.

Look SUPER HARD for the goby as a dead fish is one of the HIGHEST octane fuel for marine ich going!
IMO it s worth moving hardscape around to get the body out(it is like the shrimp you cycled with now ,but worse!) and possibly a major issue with treatment of your issue.
Ask your dad what he thinks or if he has seen the goby.
IMO the goby has not survived, but could be hiding ?
So without goby you are at 2 clowns only now?

Look SUPER HARD for the goby as a dead fish is one of the HIGHEST octane fuel for marine ich going!
IMO it s worth moving hardscape around to get the body out(it is like the shrimp you cycled with now ,but worse!) and possibly a major issue with treatment of your issue.
Ask your dad what he thinks or if he has seen the goby.
IMO the goby has not survived, but could be hiding ?
So without goby you are at 2 clowns only now?

I did see the goby this morning before work and my dad did also. Hopefully he is just hiding under the rock.
Correct I am currently down to the 2 clowns and goby. Until I find a body he is still alive.

Moved some rock around, and found the goby alive and healthy under the purple rock :D
Thinking about getting another shrimp on Sunday, but not sure what kind.

Got a candy cane shrimp from the lfs. One of the owners said he had a 125 gal reef ready, lights, skimmer, pump, sump, and stand and would sell it to me for $500! I really want it, but I have to save my money and not spend it.

Got a candy cane shrimp from the lfs. One of the owners said he had a 125 gal reef ready, lights, skimmer, pump, sump, and stand and would sell it to me for $500! I really want it, but I have to save my money and not spend it.

That's a complete steal. I'd take that opportunity!

Pics of the shrimp :)

Caleb

That's a complete steal. I'd take that opportunity!

Pics of the shrimp :)

Caleb
He's lucky that tank isn't in NY!:cool:
Have 2@ 16' enclosed trailers and will travel ,went NJ for a free 120 with 12k++ of receipts and equipment!!(y)
The candy cane is a pistol shrimp ..yes?

Back
Top Bottom