Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More good news :) came today in the mail, and will set it up tonight or tomorrow night.

What is everyones opinions of adding a bullseye pistol to have a symbiotic with the goby?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great little relationship those two build. You have to make sure you get ones that will be interested in one another, as there are some goby and some pistol that don't join up.

Great little relationship those two build. You have to make sure you get ones that will be interested in one another, as there are some goby and some pistol that don't join up.

Thanks for the reinforcement on that. Hopefully the pistol I get will join up with my goby

Since I'm going to be getting a new powerhead in a few days I thought of a flaw in the jebao style. Isn't it possible for small fish/inverts to get sucked up and killed by the impeller? I want to get another baby tang, and those guys where only 3/4" long.

Does anyone have any experience with small fish&powerheads?

Generally, healthy fish don't have problems getting sucked into power heads. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the odds are that it won't. Be careful what tangs you put in this 75, as most of them aren't suitable for a tank this size, and will quickly outgrow it.
Looking for a creature to eat nuisance algae is not the answer. You should be focusing on the source of the problem- the excess nutrients.

Thank you mr.x. I have talked with my lfs, and they said when the tang gets to big I can trade him back in.
I'll do a large pwc next weekend when the ro unit is up and running. Should I try using things that absorb phosphates or just pwc's?

Are you having major problems with algae? Can I see a current pic of the tank? You can limit the light with no ill effects- fish only need to see to eat. Personally, if I was keeping a fish only setup, I wouldn't really care much about algae. It's a natural part of the environment they came from. Water changes would be all that I would be doing.

Turning the lights on now....
This isn't my picture, but its pretty close in color and size to the bristle worm I sawI couldn't figure out what species of worm this is because the site it went to was all spanish. Me no hablo Español bueno

Pictures-
FTS
Close up of the most algae

Close up#2
Close up #3
Close up #4

Sorry about the algae problems dude. I think I've hit the same problem with some green algae. Think it's phosphates from the rockwork. Hopefully it will clear up.

Caleb

It stinks to because h2o2 doesn't seem to affect most of it, just the slimy looking green hair algae succumbs to h2o2. This is the stuff on the top right picture of the first close up

You've got caulerpa prolifera and bryopsis there. Did you get this rock from someone's refugium? That prolifera is some nasty stuff. Nothing eats it as far as I have seen. As you have probably noticed, it's got anchoring root-like appendages that makes it a PITA to pull out completely.
I would manually remove whatever I could during water changes, and be careful not to overfeed/over light the tank until you get a handle on it. The worm in the picture is fine to have, but the one in the picture you sent me has a noticeable head and legs instead of bristles.....oenone fulgida

Here's a pic I took in one of my refugiums years ago...see the difference between the worm on the left and the ones on the right?
img_3269512_0_1dad27c06090308555a314a8b3c6f20a.jpg

Last edited:
No this rock came from my lfs, its a 20 pound piece so I don't think it was in a refugium. The culerpa I don't mind, and find it interesting, its the bryopsis I can't stand

Well, it certainly came from a tank breakdown, and not directly from the ocean, judging by the coral skeletons attached.

The worm on the left doesn't have any bristles on its head, and appears to have larger eyes.

Oh that is a piece my dad had in his reef 20 years ago. It was sitting at my grandparents house as a piece of decoration.

It does. I have seen it work, and many that have tried simply raising mag levels with a mag supplement other than the Kent product have not seen the same results....or so I have read. I've only tried it with the Kent product after reading multiple reports about it.

Raising the levels that high won't kill my two shrimp right?

Back
Top Bottom