Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishwrangler's 75gal FOWLR Build

Why divide it in half?

So the tang doesn't stress the flasher to death.

That may work, but then your going to really stress the tang with an already small swim area being made even smaller. I'd personally either just get 1 or qt the tang and just add the wrasse to the display but I haven't qtd fish in years. I may just have the luck of the Irish and generally don't recommend not qting if you've got the ability as I'm aware this isn't the best husbandry practice, but in the end your tank= your decision and if your more comfortable with qting do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I guess I didn't phrase that quite right...you are right about that and I was going off of the smaller space will be too stressful on the tang, if not both fish.

Ok, I I'm just afraid that if I add the wrasse straight in things won't go well and I'll end up with dead fish again.

Edit: it just dawned on me that I can QT borh fish!! I use a 20T I found on the street, the heater from my fw 20L, and the magnum 350! I'm clearing the fw 20 of the loaches later today so the snails can be cold for a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

this book is going to get me in trouble....grandpa said he wants my Christmas list now so I think some better t5 HO bulbs are going to be on it :D but its all for the anemone though...:whistle:

Does anyone even remember/know about this book?

General stock question. My dad want me to add a mandarin goby and a flame angel. Would these be ok to add with my current stock? ATM i have the 2 clowns, watchman goby, coral banded, 3 blue legged hermits, 5 asteria turbos, and male flasher wrasse. I have a yellow tang in QT and want to get 3 female flashers and a longnosehawkfish.

I personally would skip the flame.
I also will be probably the only one to say give a mandarin a try.
I have always had them and have 3 now.
Everyone else will say they are un keepable.
I bite my tongue( and have all along while here) for all the "coral killers" who think years for a fish is failure but ok for corals known to live hundreds of years!
I expect to be whipped for this so probably will not respond to many responses.
I'll be watching one of my 3 mandarins I have had for the last 3-6 years.
You are getting pretty highly stocked IMO and need to keep in mind your tank is still very new.
The hawk and mandarin will compete for food but the hawk will except frozen easier IMO.

Fishwrangler's 75gal FOWLR Build

Do you have a sump with a fuge? 75g is about the bare minimum for a mandi imo, and I would wait a while to add it so your pod population can establish itself. If it were me I'd also choose one of the mandi and hawkfish due to the fact that the hawk will easily out compete the hawk for food if it doesn't take to prepared foods

Flasher wrasses will also compete for food with a mandarin, and are much better hunters, and you are expecting to have 4 of them total...so,i don't think a mandarin will live for very long in that setting.

Flasher wrasses will also compete for food with a mandarin, and are much better hunters, and you are expecting to have 4 of them total...so,i don't think a mandarin will live for very long in that setting.

Also a very good point

I do agree and have no wrasse and only a flame hawk with the lone mandarin in the 120.
I have always had calurpae of some kind(racemosa,prolifera,mexicanna...) and do myself believe this helps with the pods and other micro life.
I don't pay any special attention to mine,but I also feel the only competition they need is each other.
My pair has been together now for years in the 75 and barely notice each other.
Nothing compares to a bonded pair dancing in the evening light!
Sometimes you don't know how lucky you are till much later on?
As much as I am all for mandarins they are not beginner fish (no insult intended) and much like nems require a stable consistent setting to say the least.

I personally would skip the flame.
I also will be probably the only one to say give a mandarin a try.
I have always had them and have 3 now.
Everyone else will say they are un keepable.
I bite my tongue( and have all along while here) for all the "coral killers" who think years for a fish is failure but ok for corals known to live hundreds of years!
I expect to be whipped for this so probably will not respond to many responses.
I'll be watching one of my 3 mandarins I have had for the last 3-6 years.
You are getting pretty highly stocked IMO and need to keep in mind your tank is still very new.
The hawk and mandarin will compete for food but the hawk will except frozen easier IMO.

I know it's new, I'm just trying to figure out a stock for the future. I want to check out some closer lfs for price and stock quality.

Do you have a sump with a fuge? 75g is about the bare minimum for a mandi imo, and I would wait a while to add it so your pod population can establish itself. If it were me I'd also choose one of the mandi and hawkfish due to the fact that the hawk will easily out compete the hawk for food if it doesn't take to prepared foods

I have a sump but it isn't a fuge, its a wet/dry trickle. Is the mandi an active fish? Liveaquaria had them at a 30 gallon minimum.

Ok, I try to keep everyone well fed with frozen mysis and/or pellets, but I didn't think of 5 or 6 different fish competing for the same food source.

I do agree and have no wrasse and only a flame hawk with the lone mandarin in the 120.
I have always had calurpae of some kind(racemosa,prolifera,mexicanna...) and do myself believe this helps with the pods and other micro life.
I don't pay any special attention to mine,but I also feel the only competition they need is each other.
My pair has been together now for years in the 75 and barely notice each other.
Nothing compares to a bonded pair dancing in the evening light!
Sometimes you don't know how lucky you are till much later on?
As much as I am all for mandarins they are not beginner fish (no insult intended) and much like nems require a stable consistent setting to say the least.

Saw this after I posted the multi quote. I totally understand the mandarins needing a stable environment. If I get one it probably won't be until after the new year.

I have a sump but it isn't a fuge, its a wet/dry trickle. Is the mandi an active fish? Liveaquaria had them at a 30 gallon minimum.

No it's not about there size or activity level, it's about having enough rock to sustain a large enough pod population so that the mandi doesn't wipe it out in a matter of days. They literally hunt and eat constantly since they don't have a "normal" stomach. LA is usually spot on with their minimum tank size recommendations but imho they're way off on the dragonettes, the more rock the more likely that the pod population can keep ahead of the needs of a mandi. While they are by far my favorite fish, I've never iwned one because I've never had a tank large enough that I felt it could support one

Gotcha gotcha. Would having a fuge with a pod population in it be a big help if I got him? Sorry about all the questions

Sent you a pm maybe 20 min ago BigRed

Gotcha gotcha. Would having a fuge with a pod population in it be a big help if I got him? Sorry about all the questions

Sent you a pm maybe 20 min ago BigRed

Yes it would really help as its a safe place for the pod population to reproduce with out predators (also is a good place to stash any undesirable hitch hikers that may pop up) and it can be helpful in nutrient control since it'll house more rock for bio filtration and some macro for nitrate and phosphate control the natural way.

And I replied to your pm. Happy to help, keep the questions coming, that's what the forum is for :D

Ok, if I built a fuge I could reuse my overflow box and overflow hose? When I bought the wet/dry I was told a fuge wouldn't work with a fowlr system, wish I would've gotten a fuge now

Ok, if I built a fuge I could reuse my overflow box and overflow hose? When I bought the wet/dry I was told a fuge wouldn't work with a fowlr system, wish I would've gotten a fuge now

Ya you should be able to just swap out the wet dry for a tank. If you snap a pic of your plumbing and wet dry set up well be able to tell for sure. How many gph is your overflow rated for?

Here are some pictures. Can't get any of the overflow right now, but its a bulkhead in the bottom of the box with a similar attachment as pictured below.

I'm not sure of what my overflow is rated for, it is the stock eshopps WD-75-CS one though.

Looks like it's about 300 gph which is pretty low, but from looking at pics you may be able to turn that return pump area into a small fuge. What do you have in there right now?

Skimmer and pump are in the return side. I might be able to put some small rubble rock, but thats it. The skimmer and pump barely fit in right now.

Back
Top Bottom