Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The list of fish sounds fine...though I'd skip the damsels all day long. Mean buggers that you'll never catch once they are in the tank.
I'm sure the anemones needing intense lighting has been covered and that neither the anemone nor the clowns need each other, but just wanted to make sure it was covered.

I'm sure the anemones needing intense lighting has been covered and that neither the anemone nor the clowns need each other, but just wanted to make sure it was covered.

I knew the anemone not needing clown and clown not needing anemome, but didn't know the first part.
I'm building a quad t5 HO fixture that will have 3 whites and 1 antic blue. Technically my dad bought a t5 HO fixture from his supplier and he is just using it for parts while we build a canopy to hold it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I prefer to say 6 bulbs for photosynthetic anemone...but 4 could work as long as you get high quality bulbs like ATI and Korallen. Just research before you buy as often people will pick up the first anemone they see and it isn't even one that will form a symbiotic relationship.

Those korallen bulbs seem nice. When I'm ready for a nem or 2 I'll probably order those, but for now I can get away with the bulbs that came worth the fixture plus the one antic right?

Yea, i had put damsels in my 180 and regreted it the whole time. I got a niger trigger for that tank and never saw those damsels again! Nature, what a beautiful thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is generally recommended to allow a new tank to mature for atleast 6 months before adding a nem.
I would not add them before 6 months.
By then all parameters should be stable ,and any swings or "blips"in the system should be over (hopefully)
Keeping Anemones - Reef Aquarium
The choice is clearly yours but anenomes can be VERY fickle.

It is generally recommended to allow a new tank to mature for atleast 6 months before adding a nem.
I would not add them before 6 months.
By then all parameters should be stable ,and any swings or "blips"in the system should be over (hopefully)
Keeping Anemones - Reef Aquarium
The choice is clearly yours but anenomes can be VERY fickle.

The six month wait was the another thing I knew about nems.

Have diatoms on the sand that I just noticed tonight. Running the CFLs for 9 hours with high trates probably doesn't help...

WC lots of WC You can also run a wooden skewer thru the sans help release them silicates at the same time getting that brown film to dissipate
damsels a demons save yourself the head ach , I'd go with a small school of deep sea reef chromis
the top 2 are blue green chromis the one to bottom is a deep sea chromis
there just a awesome looking fish along with personality
img_3239542_0_465668d461430bbc04a7b0ab4c7607c3.jpg

WCs even though I'm doing a fishless cycle?

Is it okay to have 4 ocellaris clowfish in my tank? Don't know how good the SW aqadvisor is, but it says no more than 2.
And can I add the clowns and wrasse at the same time or would the wrasse be to much bio load? Would like to get some diversity in it. My younger sister and some other people have been giving me a hard time bout not having any fish in it

WCs even though I'm doing a fishless cycle?

Is it okay to have 4 ocellaris clowfish in my tank? Don't know how good the SW aqadvisor is, but it says no more than 2.
And can I add the clowns and wrasse at the same time or would the wrasse be to much bio load? Would like to get some diversity in it. My younger sister and some other people have been giving me a hard time bout not having any fish in it

Patience is key especially in saltwater. People just don't understand you can't add too many fish at once :D

Caleb

No need for WC just let the diatoms run out(be patient).
2 clowns would be a max to me.
They are the same family as damsels and not all so friendly to there own(a little conspecicfic ).
You can add the clowns and wrasse together IMO.
IF you are going to try more then 2 clowns add ALL at the same time.

Patience is key especially in saltwater. People just don't understand you can't add too many fish at once :D

Caleb

Ty. To show my sister I had a plan with fish I showed her pictures of all the ones I want. She seemed to like all but the watchman gobies.

No need for WC just let the diatoms run out(be patient).
2 clowns would be a max to me.
They are the same family as damsels and not all so friendly to there own(a little conspecicfic ).
You can add the clowns and wrasse together IMO.
IF you are going to try more then 2 clowns add ALL at the same time.

Thanks, I didn't think I had to do a WC until I wad done but wasn't sure.
I'll have to think about the clowns some more before deciding on how many to get. Want the four for more color, but not if they are just going to fight.

Saw a hawkfish at the lfs last Sunday that I thought was pretty cool, but have to see what kind it was next Sunday for more research.

Most hawks are pretty cool and will eat frozen food besides any pods they find.
I think all are reef safe.
I have kept long nosed ,flame and have an arc eye in my 120 now.
All great fish IMO!

Could I with add one to my current stock list? Looked up some pictures and im almost positive it was a longnose hawkfish.

Stirred up the sand to help release the silicates and break up the diatoms.
Want to order a Marineland magnum 350 but at the same time don't because I'm wondering if my lfs can give me a lower price. Will also look at their powerheads when I go next time, won't buy any more LR for a few trips but will focus on equipment and fish.
Going to start looking into an auto top off system too. Any recommendations for the ATO?

Long nose are big time jumpers so if you pulled part of the cover I would be cautious.
BRS has DIY screen cover videos to keep fish in tank and allow gas exchange on the cheap.(you should check out many of their videos)
If you opt for a canister it will need regular cleaning IMO or become a nitrate factory(surely to start some debate{sorry}).
Circulation pumps are key and many run double the tank (filter) flow with their circulation pumps!
I have never found an ATO to be anything I would invest in?
If evap is not killer you could easily,and for free drip 1 gallon a day through air line with standard airline valves.
I did it for years and it was easy,but I got my sumps to hold more water so I can evap more without drawing air into return pump.
Never really did the math ,so I may be wrong but never thought evap and salinity swayed much enough to worry anyways in my 75?

If I did remove the front glass top it would still be covered with the light hood so I don't have to worry about jumpers.
I want the canister as a water polisher, and I'm not sure if pumps alone will be able to polish like I want.
I'll see what I can rig up with the DIY ATO this weekend.
I see salinity swings from 1.022-1.025 over the course of a few days. Will this swing severily effect inhabitants?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom