Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there isn't any splashing or anything in the water it should be ok, but if you want to be cautious that is fine as well. You may want to find a way to get more co2 exchange into the tank to help stabilize your pH. Even as simple as some airline tubing from a pump. A common way to help stabilize pH in winter is putting the airline from a protein skimmer out a window.

There isn't any splashing, but the tops always have water on them.
I will check the ph for a few days in a row to see how stable it is/isnt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll be getting a piece of white branchy dead coral tomorrow, and if I go to the lfs more live rock and maybe some dry rock.

The tops have water on them from water evaporating and having nowhere else to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's why I'd rather not take the tops off, all that water would just end up on the ballast and lamps.

The light is tight fitting like the glass. I'm building it so its like of like a canopy top

More agitation in your sump may(I say) may help with the pH.
I agree with removing the top but also have a full top on my FOWLR due to the moray eel.
I run a powerhead pointing to surface in my sump to help.
Possibly a part of the top can be removed.
The front can come right off with the plastic hinge, or you could remove the back plastic equipment flap?

I will have to check about removing the plastic flap.
If the pH keeps on changing I'll add an air stone to the sump, don't think I have the room for a powerhead

If you have the plastic strip along the back as most glass tops do, then simply get small fan, 80-120mm, like are used in computers, cut a hole in the plastic or cut the ends off and the you can mount the fan on there blowing into the tank you also want to cut or drill holes so the air can vent out.
I always put one fan pulling air into the canopy and one pulling air out at the opposite end, that will provide constant air circulation across the water surface. I'm sure if you toy around with the idea you will figure out a way to make it work.

Where can I get said fans??

Computer Case Fans - Newegg.com

and then I went to a local electronics store and bought a phone charger wall transformer that delivered the same amps the fan need and a connector to fit the fan and that was it.
They also had fans at the electronics store.

there are essentially the same as the fan coolers that are for sale for aquariums, but at a fraction of the price.

You can get a transformer for double or greater the fans needs and wire multiple fans together as long as you don't exceed what the transformer can deliver.

img_3237981_0_7a068ee35ed7ddf49af5226cb0f31b5a.jpg

img_3237981_1_0c1609ad6ddbcebcd07717a697c5cba1.jpg

that is my setup for the canopy for my mini refugium. There is another opening on the opposite end, but I haven't wired up a fan to it yet.

and I was wrong, it has a sticker that says it's a camera charger...LOL

Back
Top Bottom