Fishy cycling... how long before ammonia shows up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trumpee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just started a cycle in a new tank 5 days ago. I have 4 small Giant Danios helping me get the cycle going in a 46 gallon bow front tank. Feeding them a small pinch of Tetra Min flakes twice a day.

Daily ammonia tests have been showing 0 PPM, still after 5 days.

Tested the Nitrites for the first time today as well and they are testing at 0 PPM as well.

What's a typical wait time before seeing ammonia show up?

Is it possible I need a few more Danios in this size tank? If so, how long should I wait before adding a couple more fish.

Thanks.

-Dave

It took almost 2 weeks with 2 goldfish (babies) in my 10 gal tank before my NH3 spike, with 5 danios in a 48 I would say it will take rather longer.

Although you can increase the bioload to hasten things, it is also more stressful for the fish as you would ahve a higher spike. If you have the patience, you can stay the course & wait. Someone here did an ultra-low bioload fishie cycling and managed to cycle a tank in about 60 days, but without any NH3 or NO2 spikes. This is stress free for the fish .... but 60 days is a looooong time!

Back
Top Bottom