Fixing my levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello , hope everyone is having a good day! I am new to these forums and new to salt water keeping. I'm not however new to keeping fish, I've kept freshwater ever since I was 3 (now almost 15) and for Christmas my only gift was to get seahorses, I am absolutely fascinated by them and just had to get some. I have a 20 gallon hex glass vertical tank with lots of decorations for them to hitch onto once I get them. I've had the tank set up for about 3 weeks now and plan on cycling it for another 2-3 months, so I can get the hang of things. Now for the main problem...the ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites or off in my tank. I have done water changes and adding for prime (water conditioner) to the tank, I let it sit and try to fix it's self and the levels are just not going down. I don't know what to do would anyone have any ideas that I can do to get the levels stabilized and correct?? Thanks much IMG_8013.JPGIMG_8014.JPGIMG_8015.JPGIMG_8016.JPGImage1486081420.406325.jpg

I'm sure you heard this before was the tank cycled
what did you use for ammonia source
looking at your readings it don't look like you cycled

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

a piece of a deli shrimp would be a good ammonia source to start a cycle

as for your ph levels I wouldn't be to concerned about that at the moment concentrate on cycling .
ph will fluctuate during winter months ph levels will decrease as air gas exchange is lower due to no open windows during colder months

once summer comes you will see improvement on ph once windows start being opened increasing air gas exchange

ph will also be higher during the day and lower at night

so long as you stay in the range of 7,8 and 8.4 your ok on ph

I'm sure you heard this before was the tank cycled
what did you use for ammonia source
looking at your readings it don't look like you cycled

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

a piece of a deli shrimp would be a good ammonia source to start a cycle

as for your ph levels I wouldn't be to concerned about that at the moment concentrate on cycling .
ph will fluctuate during winter months ph levels will decrease as air gas exchange is lower due to no open windows during colder months

once summer comes you will see improvement on ph once windows start being opened increasing air gas exchange

ph will also be higher during the day and lower at night

so long as you stay in the range of 7,8 and 8.4 your ok on ph

I have not put any fish or anything in the tank because I was just trying to get the levels correct, should I put something in? I was going to cycle for a month w/o fish then cycle for a month with clown fish

There is no need to cycle the tank twice. This is what is building up the bacteria to house your livestock. If the goal is sea horses, it will have to be a low flow seahorse only tank. Nothing more, nothing less.

That said, you'll need to do some changes to your system. There isn't any rock or sand in it to support the beneficial bacteria you need to keep them alive. The silk plants can work for something that they can anchor themselves on to, but so can macro algaes.

Unless my eyesight is horrible I see 2 pieces of branch rock and sand?? Those readings don't look like there was ever a spike. I'd throw a raw shrimp in there in a filter bag and leave it for a day or two to get the cycle started.

Onto seahorses, do you know what species you want? Or how many? I don't have any experience keeping them but I have a friend who breeds them. Alyssa at pacificeastaquaculture breeds fantastic healthy ones at well. Check out their site for hers. Also, I don't completely agree with the lack of flow thing. I'd still want a powerhead in the tank otherwise you're gonna have some crazy powerhead issues. The plastic plants are fine as long as you have enough rock and sand for the bacteria. It's a bit tacky but the ponies will appreciate it

There is no need to cycle the tank twice. This is what is building up the bacteria to house your livestock. If the goal is sea horses, it will have to be a low flow seahorse only tank. Nothing more, nothing less.

That said, you'll need to do some changes to your system. There isn't any rock or sand in it to support the beneficial bacteria you need to keep them alive. The silk plants can work for something that they can anchor themselves on to, but so can macro algaes.

I do have a sand substrate, it is live sand do. I do aswell have some coral in there but it's dead but also has time leftover Algee on it. I will be taking a trip to the fish store this weekend for some macro algee and shrimp :)

I do have a sand substrate, it is live sand do. I do aswell have some coral in there but it's dead but also has time leftover Algee on it. I will be taking a trip to the fish store this weekend for some macro algee and shrimp :)

The tank isn't cycled. You can get some macro algae but not shrimp. They'll die. You have to see a large ammonia spike which can be generated by getting a fresh dead shrimp from the grocery store, putting it in a filter bag or other such material and letting it decay for a day or two. This will allow levels to spike and allow the tank to complete its cycle. Once your ammonia and nitrites hit 0 is when the tank will be cycled.

The tank isn't cycled. You can get some macro algae but not shrimp. They'll die. You have to see a large ammonia spike which can be generated by getting a fresh dead shrimp from the grocery store, putting it in a filter bag or other such material and letting it decay for a day or two. This will allow levels to spike and allow the tank to complete its cycle. Once your ammonia and nitrites hit 0 is when the tank will be cycled.

I did have a spike about a week ago before I did the water change, it was above 1.0. Ok ditch the shrimp for now, I was a little confused haha but I will get the macro algae

Ah ok yeah the macro will definitely help. I just wouldn't put any animals in until that ammonia is down to 0 as well as the nitrites. Shrimp are pretty sensitive little guys

Ah ok yeah the macro will definitely help. I just wouldn't put any animals in until that ammonia is down to 0 as well as the nitrites. Shrimp are pretty sensitive little guys

Ok sounds good, so that spike you were talking abt, should that happen with the nitrites and nitrates too?

Back
Top Bottom