Flake Food Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dehinrichs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just setting up an aquarium after a long absence to the hobby (my last aquarium was in the late '70's).
I was wondering what everyone is using as a basic, everyday, freshwater flake food.
I'm considering Tetra, O.S.I, Omega One, and of course if you visit their websites, they all say they're the best.
Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Is there another food I need to check out too? Does it really matter at all??

Thanks!

I do not use flake as a staple. We use New Life Spectrum pellets for all of our fish (community and African).

I don't know anything about OSI, but I know that the ingredients for Omega One are better than the ingredients in the Tetra foods. Omega One makes flakes, pellets, and freeze dried treats, and my fish go nuts for them. I can't get NLS here so I've never tried it.

I use tetra flake. THen when the new "crisp" came out I started to use that. However it says one crisp per inch of fish. I kept over feeding and getting algae blooms. I fixed that by crushing the crisps and feeding that way. No more algae, happy fish. They seem more active on it. My new fish do not seem to mind it either. I treat with thawed frozen blood worms or dried blood worms. I also give algae wafers, frog pellets and shrimp pellets.

I just came across something called "Super soft frozen food alternative" by HBH I got the "spirulina" for marine and freshwater. It is a small green soft pellet. it sinks very fast, dissolves pretty slow. My goldfish like it. Everyone in the community tanks swim towards it, but honest, it sinks VERY FAST. My bettas won't eat it unless I crumble it. They do not like taking things from the floor unless it is a sunken blood worm. Even my lobsters and shrimp seem to like it. I've only been using it a few days so I can't say much about it yet, except "the kids seem to like it"
Hope this helps some.

I use TetraMin as a staple, but I keep my fish guessing with a mix of bloodworms, tubifex, krill, and brine shrimp mixed in. They love me for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom