Flame angel expierience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theatrus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have expierience with this fish? Looking at going into a 55g. I have one coral (a pulsing xenia, the xenia elongata variety I believe), 1 red firefish, and two perc clowns, 40lbs LR and 40ish lbs base (dead, added 3 weeks ago).

I've seen various reports on whether they nip corals. Is it just a matter of keeping the well fed or do they do it anyway? Any other advice? Any other fish you would recommend?

imo it is the temperament of the individual fish, some nip, some don't....ya got a 50/50 shot. I never had trouble with mine.

from what i understand its just luck of the draw some do some dont

my only other guess would be if the fish was ocean caught vs. captive bred, possibly captive breed flames with no exp. eatong coral or seeing it, may not have the intrest. (this is just a thought i am not positive)

captive bread is also good because they adapt to tank life very well and, you are being a responsible hobbiest. :D

Yeah, I look for TR/aquacultured whenever I can. My Xenia is busy splitting its self off, put some small rocks around it so hopefuly the next split will be on to one of those :)

So at least they're not major nippers... which is a plus.

If you put it in, you can kiss your xenia good-bye. Actually, angels are not considered to be reef-safe, however, some have kept them in reefs without any trouble. Just depends on the fish. I do not think it is worth the risk.

dwarf angels can be kept much more safely in reefs then the different large angels which are much likely to eat coral 99 percent of those will eat coral

Yeah, I wouldn't consider a full angel in a reef tank. But who can resist the brightly colored flame dwarf angel? :D

is he going to be the last fish you add? i've seen them fine with pre-existing fish and then beat-up any new fish added afterwards...

I say ditch the coral, get the fish. Fish are more fun anyway. 8)

(just kidding) 8O 8O 8O

Back
Top Bottom