Flame Angel isnt eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my guess is the tank has only been setup since February 29, 2004 that is when i found the first topic about starting your tank with the bio sphera..

James

Ok here we go. Not trying to damper your tank or plans for your tank. But first of all your tank has not even been going for a month. You already have a Bubble tip anemone. Those are supposed to be placed in a MATURE tank. Second you are already placing coral in a tank that is not even a month old. I wouldn't be suprised if they make it. You are completely rushing into this. The key to a saltwater tank is waiting. When you rush you waste alot of money and kill alot of livestock. I think you should have done some research before you started buying all of this stuff. And no it may not be all your fault. You say that your dad is buying alot of stuff. Well maybe you need to fill him in on some basic guidelines. Finally with the tank only being barely a month old you should have kept just the damsels in there for at least a couple months then maybe one or two more fish. Then after 4 or 5 months i would say then get some genrally hardy corals. In no means and anenome yet.

Hey i am just trying to help you out and save you money. Because as people have told you. You will have problems with the overstocking. And i think you will have problems with the fact that you are adding stuff after not even a month. You know i have my tank running for 6 months before i added my first coral. Which was a mushroom rock. You have already added an anenome for. CRAZY. Maybe you are one of the 1 in 5,000,000,000,000 people that can get away with this with no problems at all.

Sorry, but I have to agree with everyone else. Your tank is way overstocked. I did not even think of adding anything for the first six weeks. the bio-load you are placing on the tank is extreme for even mature tanks. It is time to start thinking of the health and well-being of the livestock. I know it is hard to do, but you need to slow down. You are on your way to a major tank crash. I appreciate your enthusiasm but use some common sense. As for your Flame...you need to try a variety of foods, frozen shrimp, Angle Two, seaweed salad, flake. My eats them all now. just find something they like and go with it, in the process try not to increase your Nitrates by over-feeding. Please listen to everyone that is relying to you and liven-up on your livestock.

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be mean. Just trying to save your fishes lives and save you some frustration/heartbreak. I made some mistakes in the beginning and 3 fish paid for it with their lives.
I would at least take back the emperor. That fish needs a 150 gallon AT LEAST to make it to maturity.
Also would loose the anemone
You say the eel is gone....good.
Also take the Flame Angel back, at least until the tank matures.
Maybe later down the line you can trade the damsels back in, and get a couple of nice smaller fish, or save for a larger tank.
With the credit you would get for the returns, you could get some more cured rock and really get your tank going in the right direction.
Also, are you using qt? Doesn't look like it. What are you going to do if (when) you have a parasitic outbreak? With the stress created from this crowd, its a strong possibility. You can't treat the main tank, it would kill all your inverts and corals.
Just food for thought.

Here is my take on all of this...

I have gone over all of this before with him. In fact, if you search old posts, about a month ago when he was wanted to purchase an anemone, I advised him that this was a bad idea. He didn't take the advise and purchased one anyway.

At this point, I can only continue to offer my advise to him even if it is not taken seriously. I could sit back and just not do anything, but I think it is prudent to continue to try and point him in the right direction, if for nothing else, to keep the animals alive. Hopefully it will start to sink in sooner or later.

When I first started out, I got all kinds of advice that I didn't take. Now that my reefing abilities have gotten sharper and I know the error of my ways, its easy to say what I should and shouldn't have done.

I am not defending him or any of his actions by any means. I just know (as we all should know) that we all make mistakes even when proper advise is given. Hopefully as he matures in this hobby he will not make the same mistakes again and he will the current problems he has.

BTW, I am in agreement with all of you in that the tank is way overstocked. Several of those fish need to go (as well as the anemone), a proper QT method is needed, and possibly better filtration.

We have all tried to give him advice. I think his dad plays a major role in this and needs to be edjucated n the matter. Yes we have all made mistakes and we have all been given advice that we didn't take. But his is out of control. I mean i have alot of money in my tank and i work hard for my money. I get mad when a snail dies. I guess if you are not the one paying for it it is different?!?! I will never know.

Hey brndfrb,

If I bought you a hammerhead shark would you take it LOL.. the answer would be no.. You would tell me I was crazy for even buying it LOL..

Hey Biggen,

If I bought you a Baby Great white would you take it.. No.. You would tell me that I need to rethink about my spending habits..

Even if someone is buying these things for us We have to be the mature ones that say "It was a really nice thought but there is no way my tank is big enough or mature enough for that" I have had ppl offer to buy me fish, Ect and I have to be the one to say no.. My tank isnt big enough for another fish.. Its hard to say specially when its free but that one fish could be enough to kill my bioload and kill all my fish and corals... So Teen You need to tell your day to STOP buying stuff for the tank and relax and wait.. If he wants to keep spending the money tell him to buy a 300g+ tank that way you can keep everything he wants to buy for you without issues.. The route you are taking is one that is heaaded for disaster..

James

As for my conclusion to this topic I would like to say I hope all the fish live and your habits of keeping SW fish does not cost the world to loose many more fish then it already does.. There is a thing about bending rules and there is a thing about just destroying the rules.. IMO you have completly broke the rules and the poor fish and your dad if he is in fact buying all these creatures are going to have to pay for it... Wish the fish the best of luck in this extremely poor environment..

Until the Next topic

Laters,
James

Hey Biggen,

If I bought you a Baby Great white would you take it.. No.. You would tell me that I need to rethink about my spending habits..

Of course *I* wouldn't take it, but I know better than to take it. I have the knowledge to know I couldn't take it. Others do not...

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere fast so I would like to get back to the original question.

Teen,

You said you got the Angel on Saturday and it hasn't fed at all? It should have settled in by now. What are you trying to feed it? Is it showing any signs of unusual behavior?

Alright, back to the fish at hand. How is it doing today?

Teen I read all of your posts, and I rarely ever read of you qt'ing any of your livestock? What is your acclimation process consist of? I'm thinking the poor fish is stressed.

Also who is buying the fish your dad? Who is the one taking care of the fish, you? It is your responsiblity as the fishkeeper to sit down with your dad to tell him about the things many of the members of the forum have told you, and that you should 1) Return some of the fish/corals so the ones you want keep have a fighting chance (no you don't have to only keep just the damsels) 2) get a bigger tank for your EXISTING livestock (errr...stick to the first choice)

Sorry you having a hard time with your flame, hopefully it will make a turn for better and start eating.

Im getting rid of both angels tomorrow, and get some more lr. Those angels are making my ammonia and nitrites go up a bit so getting rid of them will hopefully take them down.

Back
Top Bottom