Flame Tetra with black internal spot/dot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20 gallon rectangular
Aqua-tech 5-15 filter (pantyhose intake cover)
Air stone / temp 85
Filtered water from home machine + prime water conditioner
API paper strips GH 180; KH240; pH 8; ammonia 0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate .1
"Brackish" water (1/4tsp per gallon added once per month; water changes as usual so it is diluted within a week or so)
Indirect window sunlight & LED 12hrs/day
PWC 16-20% daily, still cycling tank (clean 1/2 gravel)
7 Glowlight Tetras
3 Flame Tetras (rescue)
1 White Cloud Mountain Minnow (rescue)
1 Zebra Nerite Snail
2 caves, 2 fake plants, 1 moss ball
FEED 2 small feedings/day: rotate tropical flakes, tropical pellets, crushed algae wafers
TREATS: occasional veggie

I have 3 of these flame tetras, had them for about 1 week. I don't have the funds for a proper quarantine tank, so I only acclimated them to new water over a 12hr period in a tupperware then put into the 20gal and try to keep a close eye on them for irritations, diseases, strange behavior. They all acted a little skittish at first, and didn't take to food for about a day. :ermm: They were gasping a little bit, and sitting in one spot, but nothing serious to show severe ammonia poisoning from the store.

I saw one of them, that acts perfectly healthy now & is eating regularly, has a tiny black dot inside of its body. :confused: I can tell that it's inside, because you can't see it too well, until you illuminate the body from the other side with a flashlight. The dot is tiny, about the size of a period, and right behind the gill and under the spine. In photos it looks a little grayish due to being inside him/her, it hasn't changed sizes. He's darting around healthy as can be, so it's hard to even get a decent picture without his blur. He is even chasing the other flame tetras, sort of a bully :eek:

Do you think this is reason for concern? Or have you seen anything like this in any other fish? Is there anything I can do to "fix" this little internal spot?

Attachments

• 2014 - 1(1).jpg
    2014 - 1(1).jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Getting better pic

I'm working on getting a better photo . . .

Last edited:
Newest Photos

Here is a picture of the internal "dot", dark marking. One thing I have noticed, from the left side you can see it pretty clearly with some flashlight illumination behind him. However from the right side, it's much harder to see. It seems to me it's still inside, but maybe just under the skin (or scales), to where it's not completely centered within his body mass. Maybe that can help diagnosis. Also, he swims a tiny bit cock-eyed. Just a small amount of tilt, as you can see in the last photo. I have heard of fish swimming completely 90 degrees sideways or even upside down with swim bladder issues, do you think it could be a milder case? Occasionally lets himself go with the current & starts to swim again. Not excessive, as my other 2 flame tetras exhibit similar "resting" breaks.

Attachments

• 2014 - 1.jpg
    2014 - 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2014 - 2.jpg
    2014 - 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 2014 - 4.jpg
    2014 - 4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom