Flashing Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have been reading through your site, and I have a question to ask.

The bulb on my 29 gal freshwater tank started flashing rapidly. Is this because the bulb needs to be replaced (it is an old bulb, about a year and a half), or is it the starter that needs replacing. Also, what color bulbs do you recomend for a freshwater aquarium if and when I replace it?

Thanks.

I would replace the bulb first, at a year and a half the spectrum will be completely messed up (usually when algae rears it's ugly head), if that doesn't fix it, then replace the starter, if you want to do it in 1 shot, bring the fixture to the store, put a new bulb in, if it doesn't fire, then get a new starter aswell (you definately should have a new bulb)

well it matters if you have live plants if you have live plants tehn you need spikes in the spectrum of red and blues to have plants live and thrive

hth

Thanks for the replies, hard to find a nice forum these days.

I was replacing the bulb this week (as soon as I found out how long the spectrum lasts, on this forum) and as soon as it started to flash, I wondered about the starter. I think Ill take the hood into the store, and check both.

Thanks.

I would try to do the starter first since it is only about a dollar in cost. Besides, when you have a household flourescent fixture with starters, they flicker becuase it cant start, but as soon as the starter is replaced, it starts quickly without flicker.

It is up to you...

Im replacing the bulb tomorow (I live outside the city) anyways because it needs it. If the bulb doesn't stop flickering at the store, then I'll do the starter.

Thanks.

It sounds like the filament probably broke off somewhere and is barely completing the circuit. The vibrations from the equipment, such as filters or pumps, etc might be shaking it back into contact then breaking it off again.

Does your hood have two bulbs? If so, try switching them around and see if the other bulb flickers in the same socket as well. If it does then there is probably an electrical problem like a short or something, but if not then it's time to replace the bulb. You can probably predict that the bulb which was flashing will probably still flash in the other socket.

If you feel like spending some money for something that may not only last way longer, but provides excellent lighting for plants as well, you might want to look into getting compact flourescent bulbs which fit into the same screw-in sockets as regular bulbs. They are well worth getting.

Back
Top Bottom