Flashing loaches, so confused?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a FW 55g column style tank running for 2 1/2 years. My stock consists of: 1oto, 1 keyhole cichlid, 6 panda corys, 2 yoyo loaches, 1 angelicus botia, 2 honey gourami. My perameters are 0 ammonia, ph 6.8, 0 nitrates, and 40 nitrate (tested with an API liquid master kit). I have been doing 40%-50% WC's once a week (to get nitrates down to 20). I currently have a 55 / 75 aqueon filter (saving for fluval C4 ) . But to get to the point after my WC's my loaches and only the loaches will flash for a few days then quit. I have had them for 4 months. They play, eat, and honestly act normal. I am so confused. The only thing I can think of is that natual their habit is in a river, so maybe my nitrates are too high for them?Also maybe they don't like the Stresscoat Plus?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does sound like they don't like something. Nitrates I assume would go down after a water change?

Are you dosing any ferts or anything at the same time? Or does the tank get stirred up from the pwc?

Does sound like they don't like something. Nitrates I assume would go down after a water change?

Are you dosing any ferts or anything at the same time? Or does the tank get stirred up from the pwc?

Thanks for the reply! I currently have no live plants. Between the loaches and my Keyhole Cichlid the plants would most definitely be destroyed. I vacuum the gravel every time do a PWC.

Hmm, tricky.

I assume they are flashing on the gills? Do they flash just at feeding time or anytime after a pwc?

Hmm, tricky.

I assume they are flashing on the gills? Do they flash just at feeding time or anytime after a pwc?

Mainly after a pwc and they are flashing on the gills. Their are no injuries/inflammation present. Last week I removed the decorations on the left side of the tank and did a hefty vacuum under them. Today I'm going to move the decorations on the left side of the tank and vacuum underneath. I'm also gonna check the nitrates before doing so as I always do before my weekly pwc. Hopefully this method will help.

I can't think of much. Perhaps you could try picking up a small bottle of prime or another water conditioner and trying that? I never noticed the yo yo's having issues with the stress coat though when I was using it.

Also a smaller pwc and see if they still do it. Is the pwc water roughly temp matched?

Mine used to flash from I believe the wool around plants and later from dry ferts dosing. Since gone away.

Yes the temp is matched as closely as I can. Just did a 40% wc today. My nitrates are reading approximately between 20 and 30 ppm (before the wc). I vacuumed the right side of my tank and moved decorations and silk plants to get all the hidden poop, hehe (I'll never grow up). Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes this week. Thanks for your help!

Good luck, let us know if anything pops up.

The other trouble with loaches is that it wouldn't surprise me if one did it and the others immediately copied... I know not the case but would not surprise me at all.

Edit - also my nitrates are commonly 30 to 40 with no issues. So I'm guessing that is ok for them.

Back
Top Bottom