Flatworms??? UPDATE!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
revhtree said:
Great Steve! I already have that stuff and a big roll of the tubing. :wink:

Hopefully one last question: How do you know if you have dosed enough? How do you know that they are dying? They just sit there right now, and I see no movement.

Thanks! :wink:

You will know when the are dying, because you will see them twitch and then float freely in the water. As the for the amount to use, follow the instructions on the box first. You might get lucky. I didn't. I had to use half of the bottle witch is enough for 450 gallons in my 55 gallon tank to get them all. The 5 most important things to remember are 1) get as many out of the tank and between the rocks as possible Before treating the tank to keep the toxin level as low as possible. 2) use plenty of FWE. 3) have an enormous amount of current rushing through the tank while you are treating it. 4) be ready with a ton of GAC. 5) Have plenty of fresh salt water on hand like Steve said, just in case.

HTH and Good Luck!

OK, thanks Stresco. I am going to try to find some FWE aroung town today, and treat tonight. :?

Dont rush the treatment. Make sure you have at least 6 hours of your time free to complete the treatment and watch the tank.

Believe it or not, the lfs had some flatworm exit!! :wink:

I bought some even though it was $19.99! 8O

Wait till the wife finds out, i spent "MORE money on the tank!" :roll:

I am seriously considering selling the 75g and getting a nano. :wink:

Wait till the wife finds out, i spent "MORE money on the tank!"

I am seriously considering selling the 75g and getting a nano.
Na, get a 150. 8O
Good luck!! :wink:
Were pullin for ya!

OK, I am ready to treat for the flatworms today. So I got everything ready, then I started to suck them out with the airline tubing and rigid tubing. Nothing. It will not suck right. Then I tried using one from the store, just smaller, nothing. Not enough suction to pull them off the rock. What should I do?

Also will they die just messing woth them, like blowing them around?

revhtree said:
Not enough suction to pull them off the rock. What should I do?
Try a turkey baster and blast them free or use a managable powerhead. Then use the small syphon to collect them. You can also nudge them a little with the rigid tubing as you syphon off of hard surfaces. Just be mindful not to completely destroy them

Also will they die just messing woth them, like blowing them around?
Blowing them around won't kill them. Just be sure you do not damage too many at once or they release their chems. Make sure you run carbon to avoid any problems.

Cheers
Steve

revhtree said:
Will it hurt to leave them?
It's really going to depend on their population and if you can add some sort of natural control to keep them in check. Flatworms unto themselves will not normally kill anything but they can actuallly smother a coral preventing it from getting the proper amounts of light. That and they're quite unsightly.

Given the amount and types of soft/LPS corals in your tank, I'd get rid of them. You've got a decent sized buffet 8O

Cheers
Steve

It's really going to depend on their population and if you can add some sort of natural control to keep them in check.

What kind of natural control is there?

Thanks! :wink:

Blue Velvet nudibranch, Coris wrasse and the Leopard wrasse. Although the nudi will eat the flatworms they are omnivors so it will be able to eat other food items and are typically reef safe.

Also be sure there are no dead-low flow spots. They greatly dislike high water flow and will congregate in week flow area's.

Cheers
Steve

Ok I dosed the tank, and most all started floating. The ones on the sand are crawiling around. Will it kill them all, if most are dying? What about the ones I could not see in the rocks, will they die?

Also How would I know if things are going bad in the tank? (toxins)

revhtree said:
Ok I dosed the tank, and most all started floating. The ones on the sand are crawiling around. Will it kill them all, if most are dying? What about the ones I could not see in the rocks, will they die?
Everything should hopefully die off, it really depends on how many there where. If you didn't get them all you'll know soon enough. Keep watch and carefully examine the tank daily for recurances. If you see even one a week down the road treat again. It can sometimes take more than one treatment.

Also How would I know if things are going bad in the tank? (toxins)
The corals may close up but if you notice excess sliming, then start the carbon and water changes. Fish will start surface gulping and/or losing color.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, and Strescp for helping me through this. Flatworms are dead and the tank is fine! :wink:

Thanks Q, for the encouragment. :D

NP. Like Steve said, keep a close eye on the tank. If you have a lot of rock, you some may have been able to hide and escape so if you see even 1, re-treat the tank ASAP.

Many times, the first dose of Flatworm Exit is not enough to kill every Flatworm since they are deep in the rocks. I killed "all" my Flatworms with the first dose, then a few days later, they were slowly regrouping. If you see ANY Flatworms again, dose the entire tank and leave the Flatworm Exit in the water for at least a week. That will kill off any remaining Flatworms living in the rocks slowly as they leave the rock or the water slowly mixes in to where they are. The Flatworm Exit is safe, but you need to do everything you can to get rid of the Flatworms before they multiply again. Also, you can build up a resistant strain if you keep partially dosing once (if) they make a comeback.

I already dosed again. I seena few moving, so I zapped'em. :D

Thanks, I have the exit ready again!! :wink:

Leave it in the water next time you use it to get out the leftovers. It is safe to leave it in the tank for a while to be 100% sure they are all dead.

Back
Top Bottom