Flesh Eating Bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a new rainbow shark about 3 weeks ago.

He is in my QT, he had a little sore on his side, I went on a vacation, and my fish watcher just called said the sore is now really deep, red, and about quadrupled in size. I have never seen anything like this?

Melafix? Antibiotics? Something else?

You need something strong and something fast.. you could try a quick salt dip to kill the bacteria.. than meds in a qt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It'd probably be Epsom but you may want to double check that..

How'd you do?

Did a salt bath. It will be a while before anything changes. I really don't want to fork out the money for meds on a fish I got for $2.
I wouldn't be too remorseful if he died, but well see. He's still eating, and swimming just fine. It's freaky, I've never seen anything like it. So glad I have a QT right now.

Cool, if it is just some kind if bacteria than hopefully the salt was enough to stop it in its tracks, now a stress free clean environment with great quality food should give it a chance to heal up. You could add some stress coat too, couldn't hurt

I know this is wrong. But I'm totally doing experiments now. I tried scrapping away the dead flesh, and I added a little guppy to see if it's contagious.

Oh no she's gone off the deep end haha. . All's well in the name of science in my book;)

Oh no she's gone off the deep end haha. . All's well in the name of science in my book;)

Ya the scrapping didn't go well. It's definitely an Ulcer, I've been using Melafix, but it's not worth it to get something stronger. (Spending $ on meds to treat a $3 fish)
Well see, I'm very happy I have a QT at this moment.

Thanks for this. Glad it's not contagious. I have some pure melaleuca oil in my first aid kit, I'm going to try putting that directly on.

Running experiments like this on fish is just going to stress them out more and cause them to get sicker. Also, melafix won't treat that at all. You should either euthanize it or get meds that will actually work.

Running experiments like this on fish is just going to stress them out more and cause them to get sicker. Also, melafix won't treat that at all. You should either euthanize it or get meds that will actually work.

I agree. What's the point of letting a fish suffer out of curiosity? If the fish is not worth your time then do it a favor and stop making it suffer more. Or give it to someone who is willing to help it get better.

I agree. What's the point of letting a fish suffer out of curiosity? If the fish is not worth your time then do it a favor and stop making it suffer more. Or give it to someone who is willing to help it get better.

I don't think op was doing this with any kind of sinister, devious intentions... op was just doing what was thought to be best for the fish I'm hopes of saving it.. if this information had been made available sooner than I'm sure it would have been a different scenario. .

Even if the op was not being sinister to say it's ok to let it suffer because it was only $2 is wrong. Yes medications are expensive but the price of the fish shouldn't matter when it comes to treatment.

Even if the op was not being sinister to say it's ok to let it suffer because it was only $2 is wrong. Yes medications are expensive but the price of the fish shouldn't matter when it comes to treatment.

Who said it was suffering? I.think you're misreading the post, I think she meant as its only a 2 dollar fish it would make more sense to flush it rather than do anything.. maybe lighten up a bit, you dissected a frog once for science so let's not throw her to the wolves over a mere curious scrape of a fish, which was stopped upon noticing the subjects immediate discomfort..

It's not throwing anyone to the wolves it is stated that there was no need to treat a cheap fish which I disagree with and I was pointing out that instead of scraping at it and exposing other fish to it when they were unaware of what it was is wrong.

Btw I refused to dissect anything as it's not something I feel is needed.

Back
Top Bottom