Flipping my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got my light yesterday. Love it! Sat back and watched my tank last night. Seen my male Angel fish chasing my female around the tank. And they started doing that lip smacking breeding sign. Put some slate in there the other day, in their corner they like. Its Pretty neat to watch that! I took my glass top apart. No hinges using the bigger pieces of glass for a slide top. And having the back and middle open for better light. And still dosing excel @ 1 cap full a day.

Sounds busy! Dosing going ok do you think?

Otto’s have been good here with it (might just be lucky, unlike tetras which I find are my kryptonite).

Seems to be. There's a few plant's I might have to put in my other tank. They have a little melt on a few leaves. But, still trying to figure my lighting with the new light. So, different than my dinosaur light. My tank looks bare on top without that big old hood light. Looks nice though.

The new LEDs are very sleek, I kind of feel ripped off. I’ve thrown out my nice wood hood for tank - just too much hassle.

Done with excel for a while. Somehow one of my pregnant Molly's got ich. Oh, goodie! Everything was fine yesterday. Dosed my cap full earlier today. Checked on everyone tonight and seen her covered pretty good. Got her floating with some salt. Time to set up one of my 10gallons again for a hospital stay. And my littlest Otto cat looks like he's breathing kinda hard. Still might pull him, but he's still eating off the plants and acting normal so far. I know my Molly is already stressed out from my black Molly that wants some "love from her, and she's ready to pop out baby anytime now. She's huge! I added an air stone for tonight. I'll do a water change tomorrow and change out my carbon in my canister, it's time to. So, hopefully everyone else will be ok. I'll change out my polishing pad too, just to get it done. In a few weeks my hoses will be due for cleaning. So, anyways, it's pretty funny how you do one thing different and all hell breaks loose. I thought that would be too much dosing. Well, now I know. And this whole time I've been updating this I'm watching my tank. A few of my platy's and my swordtails are sucking air off the top. Not cool!

Done with excel for a while. Somehow one of my pregnant Molly's got ich. Oh, goodie! Everything was fine yesterday. Dosed my cap full earlier today. Checked on everyone tonight and seen her covered pretty good. Got her floating with some salt. Time to set up one of my 10gallons again for a hospital stay. And my littlest Otto cat looks like he's breathing kinda hard. Still might pull him, but he's still eating off the plants and acting normal so far. I know my Molly is already stressed out from my black Molly that wants some "love from her, and she's ready to pop out baby anytime now. She's huge! I added an air stone for tonight. I'll do a water change tomorrow and change out my carbon in my canister, it's time to. So, hopefully everyone else will be ok. I'll change out my polishing pad too, just to get it done. In a few weeks my hoses will be due for cleaning. So, anyways, it's pretty funny how you do one thing different and all hell breaks loose. I thought that would be too much dosing. Well, now I know. And this whole time I've been updating this I'm watching my tank. A few of my platy's and my swordtails are sucking air off the top. Not cool!

I think it is just coincidence, have you added fish in the last 2 months? Excel would not have caused an ich outbreak, in fact it should help control ich because the glut in Excel is a disinfectant.... I would continue to use Excel and all other ferts you are dosing.

I think it is just coincidence, have you added fish in the last 2 months? Excel would not have caused an ich outbreak, in fact it should help control ich because the glut in Excel is a disinfectant.... I would continue to use Excel and all other ferts you are dosing.
Nope! I'm good. And no, NOTHING is new in my tank.

I have read up on a few different things about excel and some say Molly's, platy's, and some other kinds of fish start swimming in loops and stuff. Molly's are kinda sensitive. I'm not saying it's the cause of the ich. I'm saying she's too stressed out from everything. When water chemistry becomes different, some fish don't adapt well, and become stressed and that's what causes problems.

I don't know, everybody else is fine today. But she's pretty bad. My plants look brighter. More red and brighter green on most of them.

Well! I'm figuring out real fast about planted tanks with hands on. I moved things around a few weeks ago. I change out my pad and clean my canister every 4wks. If not sooner. I do a 50-60% water change every wk. I try to do it on the same day. But, sometimes get busy. Anyhow... I pulled my canister apart and found my polishing pad black. I didn't realize I've stirred up the tank as much as I did when I was planting some plants in different spots. Planted tank is still very new to me. So learning a lot as I go. Did a lot of research on planted tanks. But this is something I never came across, so I just wanted to tell y'all what I've done and hope some learn before hand. I cleaned up my canister, changed my pad, did a 60% water change. I always vacuum the bottom. Even though i have eco complete my Molly's, and pleco make a mess, and it's not fully planted yet. Think my one Molly I said that has ich, has fungus, not ich. It's hard to tell with white fish. But she's in a 10g now, with salt. I got a better look at her after putting her in the 10g. After I already had it set up with salt treatment. I'll change that out tomorrow. Get the salt out and get some meds in there for her. I'll be cleaning my hoses to the canister as soon as I can. Ok. The upside of all this is my plants look pretty good after the water change. I dosed with potassium today everything is so colorful and the yellow leaves i had turned back to green. Another busy day. I'll diffently be more careful with my planted tanks now. Another lesson learned.

Well! I'm figuring out real fast about planted tanks with hands on. I moved things around a few weeks ago. I change out my pad and clean my canister every 4wks. If not sooner. I do a 50-60% water change every wk. I try to do it on the same day. But, sometimes get busy. Anyhow... I pulled my canister apart and found my polishing pad black. I didn't realize I've stirred up the tank as much as I did when I was planting some plants in different spots. Planted tank is still very new to me. So learning a lot as I go. Did a lot of research on planted tanks. But this is something I never came across, so I just wanted to tell y'all what I've done and hope some learn before hand. I cleaned up my canister, changed my pad, did a 60% water change. I always vacuum the bottom. Even though i have eco complete my Molly's, and pleco make a mess, and it's not fully planted yet. Think my one Molly I said that has ich, has fungus, not ich. It's hard to tell with white fish. But she's in a 10g now, with salt. I got a better look at her after putting her in the 10g. After I already had it set up with salt treatment. I'll change that out tomorrow. Get the salt out and get some meds in there for her. I'll be cleaning my hoses to the canister as soon as I can. Ok. The upside of all this is my plants look pretty good after the water change. I dosed with potassium today everything is so colorful and the yellow leaves i had turned back to green. Another busy day. I'll diffently be more careful with my planted tanks now. Another lesson learned.

It's a good idea to vac regardless, so +1 to that (y)

It's also a good thing to crack those canisters open more frequently to remove all those added organics (rotting plant material) ;)

What all are you dosing? Plants always love a good water change....

Good call on getting the molly out of there, hopefully it recovers.

I don't have a list of days what and when I dose. I dose when ever it looks like it needs some help. I dose iron, potassium, and excel, and when i dose i do 1 dose of what i think it needs.but, I do put my seachem root tabs in and that's about the only thing I do they're supposed to last 3mo. And as for my Molly. She's looking better today. The white "spots" are smaller. And she's getting her color back, she was starting to fade to a gray color. Think I might stick with the salt if it's working. I'm just paranoid about a lot of meds. And the dosing ferts I worry about my fish more than my plants. And the excel was melting some plants. But, it could have been my fault on that too. My canister was a shock to me. I'll be checking on things a lot sooner from now on. Just a good thing I do the regular 4wk check up. Any longer we would of have a lot more problems.

If you can - would do regular ferts dosing (slack at moment on this myself) or base dosing off test kit / plant trends. Just allows changes to be tracked for adjusting ferts dosing.

Think I found my center for my tank. After a good cleaning and dosing my iron one day and then dosing my potassium the next. I've noticed my plants look like new again. And on a side note. Cleaning my can and vac the bottom does wonders for algae on plants. I've put my light a timer. I stopped using excel. And things are looking so much better. Even my Molly is healing in her 10g. But I have another issue. My betta has bloat from this tank. I am curing it. She's looking better too. I'll be posting how I cured her on a new post soon. Under unheathly fish. Just to help others out. The fungus did a number on my 2 girls. But I caught it somewhat early. This is my first time dealing with bloat. But, I think with all the research I've done and what I'm doing she will be back to normal in no time. It's been 4 days now on treatment. Not looking for suggestions on this just adding in my update on whats going on so I have on here to keep track of things. We'll get it all leveled out. Everything takes time to figure out. But, anyways tank is doing awesome. Cleaning my hoses out tomorrow.

Busy times! Great you have found the sweet spot for the tank (until next re-scape lol).
Right! Lol! The biggest mistake I made is that I was feeding flakes in morning and pellets at night most the time. Which made more waste. Then I topped it all off when I stirred up the bottom. I learn real fast. Opp! Just another lesson learned. No more flakes in the morning. No more 2 feedings a day. Back down to 1.

Lol! I just put my molly(pregnant) and my betta back in my 75g. Been treating for fungus. Well! She had her baby's. Lol! I just got that treatment done yesterday. My angels are going crazy. Lol! All the baby's pop out of the floating water spirit and my angels are like a cat on a mouse. Lol! It's too funny to watch! Oh! And started dosing excel again. Did a little more research to understand it more. Think I got it. Start out small and work up to the bigger doses. Plants gotta grow. So, giving it a another shot. I think I'm gonna dose tonight while lights are out so the algae stays away. We'll see what happens. What ever melts, melts. Oh Well! I'll get different plants. I just gotta get things to be steady. And grow. So, stepping up the game.

That seems to be the secret with excel - start low. With new plants, I’ll often skip dosing for a week while plants start to adjust to tank. Tentatively seems to help.

I have noticed a difference in my plants on how they act with and without it. Seems like they look stronger with it. As to without it they're just there you know. Lol! They stand taller loving the light. I dosed last night on bother my tanks. My betta tank has a few plants with brown algae so trying excel at night and morning. Trying at night cause I read that the plants don't use it as much if at all without light and can control algae so giving it a try. I would do a bleach bath for them but I'd rather not. Don't like that idea much. Cleaned out my hoses to the 75 finally. Been so busy outside with the summer time weather now. Lol! Raking is so much fun. Lol!

I don't know if I inherited something from my plants other than snails or what. But some of my fish are not doing so hot lately. My female Platy looks thin. And I lost my male a few days ago out of the blue. My neon tetras look like crap. A couple of my Molly's ain't doing so good neither. Lost a swordtail too. My angels are fine. It's just everyone else. Cracking the can open tomorrow. I have half my fish in the hospital tank with salt. It's been 3-4 days now. Everybody seems better but my tetras. Started dosing iron last week. The snails gotta go! I'll be setting a trap soon.

Back
Top Bottom