Floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 1 fire belly dwarf gourami and he tends to stay on the edges of the tank, very rarely at the top or the center. I plan on getting another dwarf gourami (not fire belly) to give him a friend. I've heard floating plants relieve a lot of stress on them. Any suggestions for a beginner with plants? Preferably a hardy plant.

My tank is 75 gallons.

I have Amazon Swords, Cryptocoryne, wisteria, and some tropical fern. This is a new tank, it hasn't been set up for months, but has had time to do some cycling.

API master test kit.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
pH- 6.8-7.0 (color is very similar on chart it's hard to tell)
Nitrates-10

Someone gave me a suggestion for Hornwort. Any other suggestions would be awesome :)

Thanks!

Caleb.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

water sprite and cobomba are two I've used as floating cover for fry. They also sem to be like by my adult fish.

Salvina or frogbit would be some nice floating plants.

As for the second gourami, its ill advised to have 2 in the same aquarium. They are territorial and most of the time they fight incessantly.

Salvina or frogbit would be some nice floating plants.

As for the second gourami, its ill advised to have 2 in the same aquarium. They are territorial and most of the time they fight incessantly.

If I can determine the sex of the fire belly would it be okay to have the opposite sex of the dwarf? Or would they still fight?

If I can determine the sex of the fire belly would it be okay to have the opposite sex of the dwarf? Or would they still fight?

It might work, it just depends on the temperament of the fish. Some dwarf gouramis are the most peaceful fish around while other are complete psychopaths. Try posting a picture.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421511637.789433.jpg

That's the only picture I have right now of the fire belly. He hid the first day but he is beginning to warm up to the tank. I'll take another pic and post it when a get a chance.

Thats a Dwarf Gourami, the traditional version. Flame or red. They do not usually like other gouramis, especially dwarf versions and can be territorial. That being said, he would love some floating plants.

Okay and that's a no on another gourami? What if I got one that gets bigger like the 6 inch gourami

I have 4 dwarf gourami in a 92 gallon tank. 2 blue and 2 red. Absolutely no problem with them. I have a lot of plants and hiding places.

I have 4 dwarf gourami in a 92 gallon tank. 2 blue and 2 red. Absolutely no problem with them. I have a lot of plants and hiding places.

It's possible to do, just not very likely to be successful long term. I've seen people keep multiple male bettas in one tank before. It all depends on the temperament of the fish.

I've used hornwort in the past but it always got messy for me. Some people use anachris. I've good and bad luck the najas (guppy) grass.

My current favorite is Brazilian pennywort. I have it in my low tech 5g and my 16b with a Flouromax bulb. I like the lillypad-type leaves, hanging roots, and the fact that it's growing so well for me!

I've used hornwort in the past but it always got messy for me. Some people use anachris. I've good and bad luck the najas (guppy) grass.

My current favorite is Brazilian pennywort. I have it in my low tech 5g and my 16b with a Flouromax bulb. I like the lillypad-type leaves, hanging roots, and the fact that it's growing so well for me!

Does the Brazilian penny cost a pretty penny if I wanted to order some?

Does the Brazilian penny cost a pretty penny if I wanted to order some?

Not in my opinion. Since I'm still a beginner I won't buy expensive plants. It's comes bunches....I was just browsing an aquarium plant site and they're charging $3.29 for 5 stems.

Find an LFS trying to get rid of duck weed. I just got a bunch for free

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use Amazon Frogbit. Not as invasive as Duckweed ?

I put my filter to one side, so I have a quieter area for my floating plants.

Find an LFS trying to get rid of duck weed. I just got a bunch for free

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll try and see but because of my location (Tennessee) I do not have many options as far as specific fish and plants outside your generic beginner fish. Got a Petco, PetSmart, and 1 LFS like 40 mins from me. Most of my things have been ordered online from Amazon or bought from Petsmart because lack of availability.

I use Amazon Frogbit. Not as invasive as Duckweed ?

I put my filter to one side, so I have a quieter area for my floating plants.

I'll look at the frog it thanks for the suggestion ?

I am a huge fan of Dwarf water lettuce, it grows very quickly and has a cool "fuzziness" to them, their roots are also much appreciated by the fish. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421725609.595176.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421725637.713518.jpg featuring my pair of gouramis that are inseparable.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am a huge fan of Dwarf water lettuce, it grows very quickly and has a cool "fuzziness" to them, their roots are also much appreciated by the fish. View attachment 261637View attachment 261638 featuring my pair of gouramis that are inseparable.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very cool plant! And beautiful gourami's :)

Back
Top Bottom