Floating white cloud around bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailsareboring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20g tank with a moneywort potted plant, a water sprite potted plant, and a few bulbs that I got from Pet Smart. I planted the bulbs as per the directions, as well as burying a few SeaChem Flourish Tabs in my substrate. All was going well, or so I thought, until today when I noticed a white cloud like substance around 2 of my bulbs.

20121027_000951.jpg

As you can see, this one is taking root and growing, but I have no idea what the substance is and whether it is harmful to my tank or not. I tested my water and all is fine, but...what is this???

I have another bulb that doesn't have the cloud around it and isn't really sprouting yet, and another bulb that does have the cloud and isn't as far along as the one in the picture.

Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is? It moves with the current of the water, and my 2 red tiger platies don't seem fussed by it. Is something going wrong with my plants?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A substance like that grew around my plant bulbs once, and none of them sprouted. I don't believe it's harmful, but it may mean that bulb is a dud.

I bought a mixed pack of bulbs and they all rotted except the water onions. The white jelly stuff is "rot", I would pull them all out. Prepare for a stinky mess

I bought a mixed pack of bulbs and they all rotted except the water onions. The white jelly stuff is "rot", I would pull them all out. Prepare for a stinky mess

The bulb can rot even though it's growing? I can see part of the plant growing up out of the bulb...

I thought it might be algae because I left my tank light on all day when I noticed the jelly stuff. I used a net to break it apart and scoop it up. Now my platy is snacking around the root of the bulb!

Could be the organic material around the growing bulb is rotting, but yeah I still think it is rot. Sounds exactly like the white jelly stuff around my bulbs. One bulb was called a water lily I think, it sent out two small shoots less than an inch long but was rotting at the same time and the shoots died later.

It smelled horrible even while technically sprouting. I still remember it *gag*

Back
Top Bottom