Flourish Excel dosage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Trying to confirm dosage for our 6G Cyl Tank

The instructions on Excel say:
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.​

To make the math easy, I am considering our tank to be 5 gallons.

Back to the instructions

Initially, 5ml (1 capful) to 10 gal means 2.5ml to 5 gallons; easy

Thereafter, 5ml (1 capful) to 50 gal means 0.5ml to 5 gallons

Since we have anacharis in our tank, Seachem recommends dosing every other day...

So our dosage for a 6 gallon tank (with anacharis) is about 0.5ml every other day, does that sound correct?

Last edited:
Excel usually melts Anacharis but if you build up your amount slowly sometimes it will build up a tolerance to it. Your math is right but I'd do it .25ml daily so there is a small amount in the water. Liquid carbons only last 12-24 hours in a tank before breaking down completely. If the Anacharis is doing fine after 3 or so weeks on this dose then I'd go up to .5ml daily.

I had Val's in my 220 some time ago which are also sensitive to liquid carbons and used a very high dosage daily and they did fine. Time will tell if your Anacharis is going to build up a tolerance or not.

Speedy reply from Seachem

So I asked Seachem the same question and here is their response:

The dosage for a 6 gallon aquarium would be 0.5 mL every day to every other day. Each thread inside the cap is approximately 1 mL so it would be difficult to dose using the cap. I would be more than happy to send you a 1mL size pipet that you can use to dose your smaller aquarium if you will kindly respond with your mailing address. That may make it a little easier for you to dose Flourish Excel long term in your 6 gallon tank.

I like Rivercats' ramp up method but it's nice to get confirmation from the mfg so quickly

Seachem rocks! :band:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom