Fluval 305 & Aquaclear 110 vs eheim 2217

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I have two 55 gallon tanks side by side each moderately to heavily stocked...

One tank has a fluval 305 and aquaclear 110 running on it and the other tank has just the eheim 2217...

Can someone tell me which one has better filtration?

The eheim tank has:

24 small 1.5"-2.5" African Malawi cichlids

and the fluval and ac110 tank has:

5 clown loaches 3-4" 5 white skirt tetras 1.5" 1 penguin tetra 2" 2 red minor tetras 1" 2 panda Cory cats 1.5" 2 peppered cory cats 1.5"

Which filter combination is more logical for the fish types? I know the clown loaches need a bigger tank in the future but that's not for awhile :)

Thx everyone!!

toddnbecka said:
I'd add a 70 or 110 to the cichlid tank, the eheim simply isn't going to keep the tank clean by itself.

The eheim is rated for a 160 gallon tank... Why not?

The eheim is designed for biological filtration, and will handle that aspect just fine. However, it doesn't have a strong enough flow to keep a heavily stocked tank of cichlids clean for mechanical filtration.

A filter that hides crud by removing it from the tank is not an improvement over one that leaves debris behind. In both cases the crud is still in the tank. The Eheim is designed for both mechanical and biological filtration, like all the brands.
As far as which tank has the better filtration goes if both have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, they are equal. In reality the tank that has the filter that gets cleaned most often has the better filtration, because the nitrate number will likely be lower.

A tankful of mbuna typically means loads of rocks piled up for cover. Unless you want to tear the tank apart every week to siphon the sand it's better to have strong water flow and filtration to move/collect the debris.

Imo use two aquaclear 110 and yr water will be much clearer in the 55 gallons tank.

Back
Top Bottom