Fluval 305 Filtration Set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHIFT_Unique

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok there are several different set-ups for the fluval filter.

it comes with the sponge of course, and on the bottom level in both sides of the basket is carbon

mid-level is carbon and bio rocks

top level on both sides is more bio rocks

what is the best set-up for the semi-aggressive tank with live plants

i do want crystal clear water, i know there is a polishing pad you can use for that.

but set-up recommendations would be appreciated.

Well, for me a healthy tank is more important than a crystal clear tank, tho generally if you get a good biological balance then the tank will be clear anyway. Better to get healthy then clear rather than clear then healthy. So for that reason I put as much biomedia in as I can get. You still need the main sponge, of course, but not necessarily a polishing pad. You don't normally need carbon either and that is more space for media...

The tank size might be relevant as well. A 305 is supposed to be enough for 60g I think, but really a 405 is better and gives more biomedia space...

What is your plant load like? (i.e. light, medium, heavy)

Plants and substrate will also house large colonies of bacteria for biological filtration. Carbon is a waste, most of the time. I use a Filstar, but the concept is the same. Mine is stocked with course pads, followed by biological colony rings, followed my fine pads... Depending on your setup, you may not need the biological media, but I think it is a good safety net.

If you really want to polish your water, get a diatom filter. Your water should be pretty good out of the canister, but I hear that if you want birds to hit it, a diatom filter is the way to go.

i just plugged in the 305, and is it me, or does it dish out one heck of a current??

any problems with this?

On my 304 thats on my 30gal I just turn the thing down a bit and the current is fine. For my FLuval I have the bottom baskets with sponge I cut to fit, middle one bio and one filter floss and the top both bio.

i have seachem purigen in both slots on bottom basket, fluval polishing pads in middle basket, and bio rocks in top basket.

yeah i forgot about the flow adjuster....

Back
Top Bottom