fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he says 1.50 per pound thats still a pretty good deal. Thats what we have been selling rock at and its a fair price IMO :)

Sucks, if you were around here I'd give you my 10 lbs of base rock I have left over for free. It's just sitting outside looking ugly.

Haha thats funny, i have about 10-15 lb too. Where are you located bear? Shipping isnt really worth it because it costs a tooon :(

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Definitly get a lid! Even if it is ugly like my old one (screen top) there is no worse feeling in the world then finding a jumper on your carpet :/

Ain't that the truth.. Just found my wrasse.

scottayy said:
I would buy the crap out of those frags! lol
can't beat that price, and with proper care they will recover (plus some look really good already)

Lol! I am going to need to drop some money on a nice light first. So it's gonna be awhile.

I'm planning on buying the box of ocean water from petco. Those are good right?

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of salt from petco and its good :) i dont know the name off the top of my head tho...

Bearchumjs said:
Lol! I am going to need to drop some money on a nice light first. So it's gonna be awhile.

I'm planning on buying the box of ocean water from petco. Those are good right?

I'd just make my own, unless they can test it of course. Distilled water and reef crystals works perfect if your not wanting to buy a rodi filter.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
No way!! Where???

The floor lol. And Scotty, yeah, it's a great fish if you get one that isn't aggressive, mine was lightly bullied by my bangaii from time to time!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I bought a 5 gallon bucket of salt from petco and its good :) i dont know the name off the top of my head tho...

Not the bucket of salt- the box of actual ocean water.

needmorecowbell said:
I'd just make my own, unless they can test it of course. Distilled water and reef crystals works perfect if your not wanting to buy a rodi filter.

I think I'd probably start making my own but I don't want my tank empty anymore. The premixed water is easiest for me today I think. Especially since I'm not going to have anything living in the tank for a while. I'm going to try it.

I'm sorry about your wrasse. But I'm glad you found him and the mystery has been solved.

Is this your first saltwater tank? If so, I think a 5 gallon will be challenging.

Bearchumjs said:
I think I'd probably start making my own but I don't want my tank empty anymore. The premixed water is easiest for me today I think. Especially since I'm not going to have anything living in the tank for a while. I'm going to try it.

I'm sorry about your wrasse. But I'm glad you found him and the mystery has been solved.

It could give you algae because you don't really know how much silicates are in it or if there is phosphates, just bad things in general. How about you just buy 5 gallons of distilled water and the smallest instant ocean salt mix possible ( i think it's 5 gallons.. Maybe 10 though). That would be more assuring in my opinion and I doubt it would be much more expensive. I do see where your coming and in the end, I don't think it really matters much as long as your not putting anything in it yet.

And thanks, I'm happy too.

needmorecowbell said:
It could give you algae because you don't really know how much silicates are in it or if there is phosphates, just bad things in general. How about you just buy 5 gallons of distilled water and the smallest instant ocean salt mix possible ( i think it's 5 gallons.. Maybe 10 though). That would be more assuring in my opinion and I doubt it would be much more expensive. I do see where your coming and in the end, I don't think it really matters much as long as your not putting anything in it yet.

And thanks, I'm happy too.

Ok, you've made your point. I don't want algae in an empty tank... I'll buy RO and mix my own.

So there's this guy selling his 125 gal tank on CL. If I were able to get a few peices of his live rock (actually live, not "dried live rock") what would I need to do to keep it live? Just drop in a raw shrimp (in panty hose) until its cycled and then buy a live shrimp?

Will the raw shrimp start to smell bad or will I not notice it until I remove it?

I can't believe I'm actually starting this tank. I'm going to petco to buy a litterbox for our kitten that showed up at our house the other day. I'm going to pick up a small thing of salt and a hydrometer (I'll get a refractometer later) and a thermometer that isnt the stick to the outside of the tank kind. What's my ideal water temp? 78 degrees F? I'd like to have the water set to go before I add any rock.

Bearchumjs said:
So there's this guy selling his 125 gal tank on CL. If I were able to get a few peices of his live rock (actually live, not "dried live rock") what would I need to do to keep it live? Just drop in a raw shrimp (in panty hose) until its cycled and then buy a live shrimp?

Will the raw shrimp start to smell bad or will I not notice it until I remove it?

I can't believe I'm actually starting this tank. I'm going to petco to buy a litterbox for our kitten that showed up at our house the other day. I'm going to pick up a small thing of salt and a hydrometer (I'll get a refractometer later) and a thermometer that isnt the stick to the outside of the tank kind. What's my ideal water temp? 78 degrees F? I'd like to have the water set to go before I add any rock.

Yup cycle it then add a CUC, then get a shrimp.

The shrimp will smell horrible... I had to remove mine because it was in my room...

Ideal temp is 79 IMO

Back
Top Bottom