Fluval CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I've been look at a Fluval CO2 system for my forty gallon tank. I have three amazon swords in it. I have a 6500k light at 8hrs a day and miracle grow soil. I have been told I do and don't need to CO2 to keep plants alive. I found the Fluval system online for about $60 an figured for the price it couldn't hurt. Just want to know if it's worth it or not.. Also if you have any recommendations of systems.

Attachments

• image-2208781292.jpg
    image-2208781292.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 85
I have one on a 10 gallon and would not use it on anything larger. For a 40 gallon setup you would be better off with a standard setup, the fluvals are marketed toward the nano hobbyists.

It is and isn't. If you are looking for an entry level then yes but you always want more and it doesn't cut it compared to bigger systems. I have my old one I used for 2 months if you want you can have it for $30 including shipping just to see if you'll like the addition of co2. but I went bigger quick for ease of use, solenoid, adjusting...etc.

They description on the site said 15-40 gallon tanks? I looked at the Fluval CO2 "88" kit. Do your plants really benefit from it?

Attachments

• image-3118371222.jpg
    image-3118371222.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 245
@leftysav
I am just look for something to keep the plants alive better than just light an water. Not trying to grow them large or add more plants. I just prefer real plants over plastic.. So yes just entry level system, nothing to extreme.

@gillie
Ok cause I was told swords don't really need more CO2 than what they get without the system, making it not a big add.. I just thought I'd ask on here before spending $60 on a system, which cost more than the plants themselves lol

Every planted tank can benefit from additional CO2.

The problem with the Fluval things is that they will end up costing you MUCH more than a full system with a 5# cylinder will. They use a non-standard thread on the tiny disposable cylinders so you are locked into continually purchasing them at an outrageous price. You can get adapters to standard thread but they are hard to find and your best bet at finding them is a brewing shop. Even a paintball system would be cheaper in the long run. IMO, skip the disposable units and go refillable as it will save you a ton of cash.

Leftysav said:
It is and isn't. If you are looking for an entry level then yes but you always want more and it doesn't cut it compared to bigger systems. I have my old one I used for 2 months if you want you can have it for $30 including shipping just to see if you'll like the addition of co2. but I went bigger quick for ease of use, solenoid, adjusting...etc.

I'm tempted for $30.

I have so much stuff from growing my aquarium. Co2 def gets the job done...just pm me if interested, I don't want to take up space here in the wrong category. Best of luck w ur tank

@blert
So I am thinking it would be cheaper to build my own system starting at a paintball CO2 canister.. Would this work?
CO2+regulator+diffuser

This would make it cheaper and refillable

cichlid_tank619 said:
@blert
So I am thinking it would be cheaper to build my own system starting at a paintball CO2 canister.. Would this work?
CO2+regulator+diffuser

This would make it cheaper and refillable

Just make sure there is a local place you can go to get your paintball tank refilled on the cheap. I have never priced paintball regulators so I would recommend that you also price a setup for a full sized 2.5 or 5 pound tank and compare them while keeping in mind how much it will cost you to refill it. The larger the cylinder the cheaper it is to refill it and the longer you can go between refills. Here in my town I can get my 5# cylinders refilled for about 13 bucks.

You will also need:
Tubing
Bubble counter
Check valve(s)
Solenoid (to turn it on and off)
Drop checker

You can DIY the diffuser, bubble counter and drop checker if you like. You don't need to spend a fortune on an expensive diffuser. I have a bubble stone pushing 3 bps into the intake of the HOB filter on my 40 gallon and the drop checker stays well green. I also have a DIY inline reactor on my 37 gallon that cost me about 15 bucks to make.

Back
Top Bottom