Fluval Edge Aquascaping Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I've had a Fluval edge up and running for about 5 months now, with 4 celestial pearl danios and a sparkling gourami and a bunch of snails. For plants (see below) I've got a sword and an anubias. I switched out the lights that came with it for some LEDs.

Its substrate is gravel, but I'm not sure how much I like it, since with such a small opening, it's difficult to vacuum in there with my hose. I was thinking about breaking it down and doing a true planted tank with a soil substrate. Would this work for such a small (6g) tank? I'd like to keep it low tech, so no CO2, but I would like it to be something more than the eyesore that it is now. Does anyone have any suggestions for what they'd do with it? Ideas for plants that would work well in such a small tank? Hardscaping thoughts? Right now, I'm just brainstorming, so anything you guys throw at me would be appreciated. Thanks!

39633-albums2747-picture34946.jpg

I would get rid of the gravel and get some more plant friendly one, maybe get some floating plants and some moss. Maybe some chain sword

I am enjoying using sand in my tanks. You can add root tabs if you have stem plants or Crypts. I love my Crypts. A C wendtii would look nice in your tank or
use Mosses or Java Fern. For floaters I'd recommend Amazon Frogbit. Duckweed is kinda crazy and grows too fast.

You can see my tanks on my profile page. My tanks are 5-10g

Coursair said:
I am enjoying using sand in my tanks. You can add root tabs if you have stem plants or Crypts. I love my Crypts. A C wendtii would look nice in your tank or
use Mosses or Java Fern. For floaters I'd recommend Amazon Frogbit. Duckweed is kinda crazy and grows too fast.

You can see my tanks on my profile page. My tanks are 5-10g

I love the pictures, thanks, good inspiration. Where do you get that black sand substrate? I really like it. I might try some crypts, I've never had any of them before, and from the pictures, they seem like they fit into a smaller aquarium well. Do you dose fertilizers or anything regularly besides the root tabs? I have java fern and moss in my larger tank, but I feel like they would take over a 6g pretty quick. I actually have some time off this weekend, so I might do a first draft of a setup then. I'll post pictures of other ideas.

A. Flourite black sand capped w Tahitian Moon Sand
B. Sand Blasting Sand ( Black Diamond ) capped w TMS also.

Osmocote Plus DIY gel caps. Replace every 4-6 mo.

Dose Leaf Zone weekly, no CO2. Will be getting Flourish Comprehensive or dry ferts soon.

Crypts are slow growing. They may melt at first but they do bounce back :)

C wendtii " Mi Oya" is my centerpiece. I've gotten some from The Planted Tank and some from club members.

Anubias nana petite are nice also.

Coursair, looking at your tanks, I wanted to ask a question. How do you do PWCs to your shrimp tank without worrying about sucking up any shrimp? I had shrimp once and never managed to find an easy way to do it. Do you use a siphon with a filter over it?

WBAC88 said:
Coursair, looking at your tanks, I wanted to ask a question. How do you do PWCs to your shrimp tank without worrying about sucking up any shrimp? I had shrimp once and never managed to find an easy way to do it. Do you use a siphon with a filter over it?

I suck water out of the HOB filter :)
I have foam over the intake of the filter to exclude Shrimp. I am afraid to suck out Shrimp by accident. When I do vacuum near substrate I put pantyhose over hose end. No Shrimp losses so far :)

Coursair, doing the replant now, how deep are each of your TMS/flourite layers? 1-2" each?

WBAC88 said:
Coursair, doing the replant now, how deep are each of your TMS/flourite layers? 1-2" each?

Flourite about an inch or more. Total with TMS is about 2" in front, maybe 2 1/2-3" in back. I always try to slope my tanks do debris will roll to the front.

Perfect, that's what I figured but I just wanted to double check. Thanks. I was looking at your tanks again and was definitely inspired, do thanks for that, too. I'll post pics this weekend when everything's planted and the shrimp are settled.

WBAC88 said:
Perfect, that's what I figured but I just wanted to double check. Thanks. I was looking at your tanks again and was definitely inspired, do thanks for that, too. I'll post pics this weekend when everything's planted and the shrimp are settled.

Thank you. My tanks are always a work in progress. I'm very new to planted tanks on this scale. My main 10g has been up a year now. My plant club has been a huge help :D

Thank you. My tanks are always a work in progress. I'm very new to planted tanks on this scale. My main 10g has been up a year now. My plant club has been a huge help :D

My big planted tank has been growing for about 8 months now, and this kind of fine motor work in the Edge is a whole different story, so there's definitely been a learning curve, but there's something really attractive about a small tank that's stuffed to the gills with life of all kinds. That's what I'm hoping I can grow this tank into. I wish that we had a plant club around here. Maybe I'll be able to find enough people in the area to start one, you never know. :)

WBAC88 said:
Nice, tiger! I like it. What are the plants in there? Are those mostly mosses towards the front?

Yes,pelia moss,java moss&x-mas moss on dw..also 3 small patches of baby tears up front along with mini swords&mini fissidens.

I finally finished replacing the substrate today, replanted the sword that I have in there and put back two of the rocks that were there. I haven't put the driftwood back in as I'm going to attach some anubias to it before that. I already like the look of the black sand more than the gravel and hopefully my plants will agree. I have an order of plants coming in either late this week or early next week and I'll post pics again. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

39633-albums2747-picture35580.jpg

I have a mixture of black sand&eco-complete in mine...the plants seem to root very well&looks great..

tiger terror said:
I have a mixture of black sand&eco-complete in mine...the plants seem to root very well&looks great..

Yeah, I like the look a lot so far, though I made a mistake and had the filter turned up to the highest flow rate and it dug a crater an inch into my substrate and covered all of my nice TMS with the flourite that's supposed to be underneath. I'm going to have to go back in there and clean it all up a bit, but that should be ok. The water is crustal clear again at least.

@Austin: Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom