fluval or rena?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a new 55 gallon tank that I was going to put a Fluval 304 in, but a guy at a local store suggested I go with an equivalent sized Rena (filstar?). I don't know much about this, but he suggested that they are easier, quieter and cheaper.

Any thoughts?

i love my xp2. keeps my 55 clean, runs very quietly, and is super easy to maintain. i don't have any experience with the fluvals, so i can't say anything there. sure love my xp2 though... :)

I'll also suggest the Renas. They are very good for the price. I have an XP3 on my 55g and just ordered another for my new 55g.

I have a Rena air pump, my filtration is by Marineland. I think a canister is probably overkill for a 40 gallon tall :D Sorry if this is way offtopic :)

-Pleco

I just got a new 55 gallon tank
The poster is talking about a 55g...not 40g. :) An XP2 or XP3 would work.

Like JChillen mentioned, Eheim is the best, but the most expensive. Depends on how much you want to spend as to which brand to get.

Personally, I'd go for the marineland canister with that bio=wheel set-up. Seems like the perfect combo, yet I have heard that the marinelands are somewhat noisy but last and last with little or no maintenance!

I have an Eheim 2026 and a Fluval 304. They're both quiet, outstanding filters. However, you can easily buy two Fluvals for the price of one Eheim. The Eheim has been operating trouble-free for 3 years, and the Fluval without a glitch for over one year. I don't have a Rena filter myself, but I've never heard anything bad about the XP series.

Whichever brand you end up getting,
1) Make sure to get one that is self priming.
2) Get a slightly more powerful filter than you really need. Don't rely solely on the manufacturer output ratings - they are usually based on an empty filter. Filters containing media have significantly lower output that what the manufacturer says the motor is capable of delivering.
3) Get a filter with a valve that closes when you disconnect the hoses.
4) Also, look for models with multiple media compartments or baskets. This will give you greater flexibility down the road.
5) Buy online to get the best prices. I got screwed when I bought my Eheim; I got smart when I bought my Fluval. Many online stores sell filter kits that include the media for less than what you would pay for the filter alone in your lfs. The media is expensive - half the price of the filter in many cases!

I have a marinland canister with dual bio-wheels on my 40. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to filtration.... I have never had a problem with this setup. Even when I'm a little slack on my water changes, the water I pull is crystal clear and the levels all within normal ranges.

I also have a Fluval 404 on a 55 gal turtle tank and it keeps the water clear. If a filter can keep up with turtles, then I give it major props.

Whicever option you choose, you might consider hard plumbing it. With my marineland filter I replaced all the plastic tubing with 1/2" pvc, using barbed fittings for sprinkler systems to make the connections to the filter, uptake tube and biowheels. Just put standard valves and unions in to make pulling the filter easy. I actually saw a significant increase in water flow from the system and it's a MUCH cleaner install

I love my XP3 on my 55; relatively cheap, very easy to set up and to clean, silent, lotsa room for media. I have the XP3 (And a Penguin 330, too) on this tank 'cause I have a gigantic, messy pl*co in there, so need lotsa filtration. The Penguin is filled with bioballs and filter floss. The XP3 has foam, more foam, ceramic rings, lava rock, floss and then the microfiltration pad on top. And a few snails.

You have snails IN your XP3?
Not intentionally-baby apple snails get sucked through the intake strainer and grow to about pea-size in the time between monthly filter cleans! You just never know what you're gonna find...

You could even go XP4...lord knows the extra media will do you no harm.

Personally, of the 'cheaper/smaller' canisters, I like the Cascade series....however, I am mainly an Eheim and Fluval FX5 man myself.

physicsdude said:
Personally, I'd go for the marineland canister with that bio=wheel set-up. Seems like the perfect combo, yet I have heard that the marinelands are somewhat noisy but last and last with little or no maintenance!

There is no such thing as No Maintenance. If you did that, the cannister will plug up and stop working. You will always have proper maintenance.

XP3 all the way. I love both my XP2 and XP3. I didn't know there was an XP4, lol. Might have to get it and use it on my 75G and move the XP3 back to my 55G, lol.

The XP4 is "ginormous".

It's rated at 450gph and supposed to handle tanks up to 265g. Rena has it on their website, it's a new product and most likely overkill for just about everyone.

Shocking: no one has mentioned Tetra! I use Tetratec EX filters (the EX700 and EX1200) and have never had a problem with them.
They are self priming, and the EX700/1200 includes four filter media baskets so there's a lot of flexibility. The hoses also have open/close valves which can be used not only to disconnect the piping from the filter unit for cleaning or whatever other purpose, but also for altering the flow rate of the intake and output.
They also come with adjustable length spraybars.

Sure, Eheim are the leading standard for canisters having invented them in the first place, but Tetra are not far behind IME.

Rena are a good brand, but a friend bought a large canister by them for a 6'x2'x2' tank and during setup the top cracked and the unit had to be taken back as defective. Unlucky probably, but just thought I'd mention it.

one small point:

i would look into what is being sold at your LFS. i currently have an eheim filter (great btw), but i wish a LFS sold the filter media for it. its not a big problem, but if i need some media ASAP, i am out of luck.

Back
Top Bottom