Fluval spec v stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a fluval spec v today as a gift! Any ideas on stocking/substrate/plants? How good is the led light? Low light plants only? Also thinking about doing sand substate... Lemme know your ideas?!

Well, that is certainly an attractive tank. Awesome gift!
For substrate, I have mostly seen specs with sand. But, whatever you pick is totally your own preference.
For stocking, you will have to stock it on the light side because a fair amount of the water is tied up in the filtration rather than in swimming room. I would stick with maybe a betta, or a sparkling gourami, or some micro rasbora of some variety. You really just don't have space for many fish without them running into each other.

Yeah i like the rasboras. I wanna do like a mini school of something. Thanks for the input!

Emerald dwarf rasboras are really cool little fish!! Also celestrial pearl danios are cool, some call the galaxy rasboras. Both of these would be good nano fish for your tank!

I'd say a betta and maybe a few rasboras, you are really limited! I believe you could grow some anubias nana and java fern probably. If not you could get a desk lamp and shine it in using a 13W or so CFL bulb which would help alot. I love these little tanks. I definitelly wanna see some pictures.

Okay, so since i was all over the place I'll give you a step by step of what i would do.:
1.dark dirt or sand substrate.
2. Nice piece of drift wood
3. Possible lighting upgrade if needed for plants.
4. Betta for sure, possibly rasboras
5. Also plant anubias nana, java fern, maybe a moss ball in the back corner, or even open and spread it over the drift wood. (get other plants if lighting was upgraded such as amazon swords etc.)
6. If there is room maybe put some small to medium sized rocks, other wise leave it!

Please upload pictures and happy scaping to you!

There are many nano fish that would work well. I have 2 larger nano fish tank and here are a few nano fish I keep that would work well.

Scarlet Badis
Purple Pencilfish
Red Arc Pencilfish
Chili Rasbora
Neon Rasbora (gold, green, blue color variants)
Pygmy Multi Stripe Loaches
Burmese Rosy Loaches
Ember Tetra's

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm definitely doing sand for substrate. I have a bunch of low light plants in my bigger tank so I'll take some out and put them in (Java fern, Anubis, etc.) for stocking, I wanna do some galaxy rasboras, a snail or two, and shrimp. I'm not sure if I want to do a betta or 2 scarlet badis.

I need to get a few things before I set it up, so it'll be a few days before I post pics but I surely will

So here is my tank. It's been set up for a week now. I just put the driftwood and plants in. One Anubias and a few crypts, also a small moss ball

Attachments

• image-3996671856.jpg
    image-3996671856.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,109
Back
Top Bottom