flying fox, SAE, or false SAE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What do you think? Sold as a flying fox, I am thinking SAE. But I admit don't know too much about these types of fish...
img_759936_0_9c8fb23ded9a313dfb5ab26794acbd80.jpg

img_759936_1_cbeb357b876fcb4ca7b3ca21158ffa88.jpg

Sorry, they're a bit fuzzy!

looks like an SAE. I think the distinguishing features is that the band goes through the tail - rules out flying fox, and the band in the tail is translucent. I can't tell from the pic. I believe the band needs to be translucent for it to be an SAE. Above the band on the body appears gold when viewed from different angles on an SAE, which yours seems to. I'm not sure if a false SAE does that as well.

It looks very much like mine which were also sold as flying foxes, but I'm pretty sure they're SAE's.

It looks like an SAE to me.

It has the black stripe continuing through the tail.

A flying fox will have a very distinct black top. An SAE sometimes appears to have a faint black top but not to the extend of a flying fox.

A lot of people (fish store employees included) have never learned the difference but once you do, it is almost completely obvious.

If you have a group of them, do they school together? SAE's tend to be schoolers.

Yep, thats a SAE. One of my favorite fish. I currently have eleven of them.

Eeexcellent...

The only thing I wasn't sure of with calling this little guy an SAE is that I'd read that their black stripe is supposed to be a big jagged. Then I read that you can't see it in juviniles.

I just have the one of these fish, and he does seem to be settling in nicely.

I'm glad this is an SAE! Thanks all! I'm so pleased with my tank right now...

Back
Top Bottom