Flying Fox???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, i have a 36 gallon tank and i was wondering if i could get a flying fox or 2. Correct me if im wrong but flying foxes are siamese algae eaters right? If i could get one would it go good with the stock im planning to have?

1 dwarf gourami
5-6 cory cats
5 neon tetras
5 black neon tetras
1 ruby cichlid

Those are all the fish that im 100% positive im getting:) would the flying fox go could with them?

I heard cichlids are a bad placement with gouramis. Plus, wouldn't the one cichlid, like, eat all of your future tetras? That's all I'm worried about plus having live bearers (who have different water conditions from the other fish you listed) with the other fish. Oh and another thing (correct me if I'm wrong people) could the tetras nibble on the gourami's two "whisker" fins? From what I know that's all what I would be concerned about.

Hello, i have a 36 gallon tank and i was wondering if i could get a flying fox or 2. Correct me if im wrong but flying foxes are siamese algae eaters right? If i could get one would it go good with the stock im planning to have?

1 dwarf gourami
5-6 cory cats
5 neon tetras
5 black neon tetras
1 ruby cichlid

Those are all the fish that im 100% positive im getting:) would the flying fox go could with them?
Nope. Flying foxes are similar, but not the same as sae. Which one do you want? Foxes or sae? Sae need to be in groups and get to be over 4 inches (anotehr member said his are all about 4.5 inches). I don't really think you have the space for a proper group of them, but maybe somebody else will chime in who knows more about that species than I do.
@Gouramii- Not all cichlids are the same. The ruby cichlid, also known as the Bolivian ram cichlid is a peaceful dwarf cichlid who is quite compatable with a dwarf gourami. Also, many those are not nippy tetras and should go quite well with the dg as well. Also, none if those fish is a livebearer.

Woah oops I thought it said platy... Hahaha!! I need to take a nap.

Oh and I totally didn't know that! That's really cool. I have a ten gallon and I think that won't fit that type of cichlid, correct?

adammorrill said:

1 dwarf gourami
5-6 cory cats
5 neon tetras
5 black neon tetras
1 ruby cichlid

I have flying foxes (they look like sae but are not the same) they would do fine in that stock but would probably only get one and also as they get older they stop eating algae so if that's why ur getting them I would tell u to look into getting ottos

Gouramii said:
Woah oops I thought it said platy... Hahaha!! I need to take a nap.

Oh and I totally didn't know that! That's really cool. I have a ten gallon and I think that won't fit that type of cichlid, correct?

U would want at least a 20g for those guys

As I thought. I want a 20 G so bad. 10's are so limited at times!

Thanks everybody i will probally get a Flying Fox then, because i havent seen ottos anywhere:(

adammorrill said:
Thanks everybody i will probally get a Flying Fox then, because i havent seen ottos anywhere:(

Why are you getting a fox again? Do you are you settling for a fox because you think you need an algae eater?

adammorrill said:

1 dwarf gourami
5-6 cory cats
5 neon tetras
5 black neon tetras
1 ruby cichlid

http://www.ivanov.ch/aquamag/crossocheilus.html

Its in french but at the end they compare 3pictures of the 3 differents fish that are often confuse! There is also there scientific name so you'll be able to choose the one you prefer!

aqua chem Im not sure what you mean???Sorry

It sound like you're out to buy an algae eater to eat algae. As I have said many times before, you should never stock a fish solely to do a task that the keep should be doing. Even if you insist on buying one, a flying fox is a very poor algae eater that stops eating algae altogether once it's older and become aggressive.

aqua chem, i get what you are saying and i do want a fish to eat algae and i want to like the fish also so i just found an albino bristlenose pleco and i think i will get that. Thanks

aqua_chem said:
It sound like you're out to buy an algae eater to eat algae. As I have said many times before, you should never stock a fish solely to do a task that the keep should be doing. Even if you insist on buying one, a flying fox is a very poor algae eater that stops eating algae altogether once it's older and become aggressive.

Crosseilius siamensis is peaceful and a very good algea eater, a little less if you put to much food but he will be useful for 2/3 of his life, so for 6-8 years, its not bad! In groups they are better!

The agressive one is Garra Taeniata.

And Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus is a omnivorus and not much an algea eater. Those fish are confuse altogether, even in the Mergus they name the siamensis and the picture is Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus!!!

But albinos bristelnose are very beautiful to!

Oto's are algae eaters and flying foxes are not. They will eat a bit of algae when they are young, yes, but as they mature they will not eat algae, will be far too large for your tank, and likely be too aggresive for it's tankmates.

before i saw these replies i got 5 neon and a flying fox. The flying fox is small and he isnt chasing anyone and i have the gourami in there too. The flying fox just sits on a log and goes back and forth eating algae i guess. Will i ever have to rehome him???

adammorrill said:
before i saw these replies i got 5 neon and a flying fox. The flying fox is small and he isnt chasing anyone and i have the gourami in there too. The flying fox just sits on a log and goes back and forth eating algae i guess. Will i ever have to rehome him???

I have 2 flying foxes that so great with their community. They will stop eating algae when they get about 5 to 6 years old, also they are not all aggressive just watch him u should be ok

Back
Top Bottom